cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

Problem with user's Mail box

We had a problem with mailboxes (how? only God Knows), however, we can see some mailboxes can be accessed thru by recreating their email and they automatically linked with their old mailboxes, but some users can't be created by following error msg "User already exist".

Please advise how can we can get back our users mailboxes.

Regards.

7 REPLIES 7
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Problem with user's Mail box

@InterfaceTechno 

Are you on a cPanel server or is this with GoDaddy's WorkSpace email? and you said you can see some mailboxes? Can you show a screen capture?

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

error.png

Cpanel.

I tried to create this email as it was suggested by godaddy.com support, since our email system went down, and no one was able to access their mailbox, so GoDaddy support says to recreate their email address again, and we did and some users got back their mailboxes but some didn't, as you can see it in error that it says user is already exist, it does but we can't see in user's list, but we can see their mailbox folder in file manager.

Godaddy said the following.
[

We were able to create the email account that you have notified us about your problem as an example. We have found that in your /etc folder in File Manager. The specific email account essential lines in 'passwd' files were still there, preventing the system to create the email because within its creation it creates those essential lines for a Linux based system. Make sure to review those for any other emails with similar issues. Feel free to reset the password for the email we have created for you to test it out. 

We have decided to no longer offer general support via email to ensure the best possible experience for you and our other customers. If you have any follow-up questions, please reach out to our other support teams here: support.godaddy.com/

]

Super User III
Super User III

@InterfaceTechno 

Thanks for the screen shot that is very helpful - If you go to the file manager and then go to the /etc directory, you should see a folder for your domain and then a passwd file, if you edit that file, you "should" see a line for the account you are trying to recreate.  What support was saying is if you delete the line for that user, cPanel "should" allow you to recreate the user and then it should re-link with the mailbox file as you've seen with the other accounts.

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Hi,

You mean to say we delete passwd line all together? like this?

passwd:
strength:93
lastchanged:17787

OR

strength:93
lastchanged:17787

Thanks for help.

Super User III
Super User III
Solution

@InterfaceTechno 

So I wanted to double check this on my server.... 

In my /etc directory (/home/MAINUSER/etc) 

there is a folder for my domain (domainexample.com) as well as a couple of files (passwd, quota and shadow)

When I edit the passwd file I have a line with my test user

test:x:1009:1011::/home/MAINUSER/mail/domainexample.com/test:/home/MAINUSER

This is the line you would need to remove in order to be able to recreate the user

Hi,

Thanks i Got id, i am deleteing following line.

test:x:1009:1011::/home/MAINUSER/mail/domainexample.com/test:/home/MAINUSER

Thanks a lot, i will confirm you in a while.

Kind Regards

Thanks for helping me out.

Kind Regards