cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPF record includes a sender mechanism type of PTR. The use of this mechanism is heavily discouraged

https://mxtoolbox.com gives me all green except for the use of the PTR mechanism

what can i use instead of the PTR mechanism?

currently it picks up

v=spf1 a mx ptr include:secureserver.net ~all

off my site (i'm using using CPanel Email only)

i search about this and EVERY site basically says

Your domain's SPF record includes a sender mechanism type of PTR. The use of this mechanism is heavily discouraged per RFC4408 as it is slow and unreliable. Per email delivery best practices, it is advisable to avoid including PTR type mechanisms in your SPF record.

RFC 4408 states:
"Use of this mechanism is discouraged because it is slow, it is not as reliable as other mechanisms in cases of DNS errors, and it places a large burden on the arpa name servers. If used, proper PTR records must be in place for the domain's hosts and the "ptr" mechanism should be one of the last mechanisms checked."

1 REPLY 1
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: SPF record includes a sender mechanism type of PTR. The use of this mechanism is heavily discour

Hi @Mr_Robot. Welcome to GoDaddy Community! The recommended SPF for all email services with GoDaddy is:

v=spf1 include:secureserver.net -all

You should be able to remove the other elements from the SPF record. Also, if you want to flag messages not sent from our email services instead of failing them, use "~all" instead of "-all". 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.