cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

SSH not working (ssh_exchange_identification: read: connection reset)

Hello, I have recently got go daddy but have been having a lot of issues with my php scripts for an extension provided called Mediawiki. For that, I need access to the terminal (from my Windows command prompt) using CMD. When I try to SSH (ssh mygodaddyusername@mydomain.com) I get the error:

ssh_exchange_identification: read: connection reset

I am unsure of what I'm doing wrong. I tried to connect with my FTP username as well, or with FTP in general, but FTP isn't working either. Tutorials on the official godaddy site seem outdated as the site layout keeps changing. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

11 REPLIES 11
Super User III Super User III
Super User III

Re: SSH not working (ssh_exchange_identification: read: connection reset)

Try turning SSH off and then back on again, see if that works.

https://www.godaddy.com/help/enable-ssh-16102?

I'm very sorry for the late reply, I couldn't find the SSH access enable/disable, I've been there before but it has only allowed me to create public/private keys (I'm unfamiliar with that as I've always used username@domainname.com method). What should I do from there?

Super User III

It looks like the article is no longer accurate with the latest update.  Here is a video that covers creating a key.

This isn't working, and other methods don't seem to be working either. I usually SSH from CMD and it was working before to some extent (it wouldnt let me log in however because I'd always get authentication issues) but now it doesnt work with CMD at all. It doesn't work with the private key in PuTTy either. I think this is a server side issue

Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Hey @Octopus58. If you're still having trouble, I suggest connecting with our hosting support team. They will be able to test the SSH connection and fix it if it's not working on our end for some reason. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Hi, 

I am experiencing same issue, managed to find a solution?

Super User III

The solutions were posted above.  Try turning SSH off and then back on again.  If that doesn't work you'll need to contact support directly so they can dig deeper.

Thanks for you response, I have tried that but still doesn't work.

How best to contact support please?

Super User III

You can call support. https://www.godaddy.com/contact-us

Solution

Thank you but fortunately won't be needing to contact them, did a computer restart and ssh working now Smiley Happy

Super User III

Sounds good, glad to hear you've been able to sort this out!