cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

Two places to set up DNS? Why?

I transferred a domain name into my GoDaddy account.

I also have a GoDaddy shared hosting account with cPanel.

If I view my products and select the domain name, there is a button to manage DNS. Here I can create DNS records.

But ... when I log into my cPanel account and add my domain here, cPanel ALSO has a place to create and manage DNS records.

So which one do I use? And why are there 2 places to manage DNS? This is confusing. (I realize cPanel is a third party product. I just want to know: Given that GoDaddy has a DNS management page, and cPanel has a DNS management page, assuming the domain is added to cPanel... how do I manage DNS? What's best/recommended practice in this situation?)

6 REPLIES 6
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

Re: Two places to set up DNS? Why?

@ec13 

cPanel has builtin DNS management as you see - Many providers set up their systems so that you can use the cPanel to manage the DNS especially if they don't offer domain registration. 

I personally recommend using the GoDaddy DNS management (https://dcc.godaddy.com) 

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

HI,

Same here, I also got stuck since 4 days. I added all the required dns records in Cpanel.

but till the time i haven't added it to the Godaddy DNS management it didn't worked for me.

I am still unable to access the webmail, and smtp is not authenticating on vps server.

Does the POP and SMTP requires dns records to be added in Godaddy DNS Management?

Please help.

Super User III
Super User III

@AdPun 

Welcome to this conversation - 

Long story short is that you should only use ONE of the DNS systems, as previously mentioned I recommend using the GoDaddy DNS vs the cPanel/VPS one - so as long as all the DNS records are loaded everything should work.

regarding POP / SMTP / IMAP - some elect to setup separate CNAME entries for each of these, others just use something like mail. and then use that in their email clients

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Hi PL281, 

Thank you for the reply!!

Finally I used the godaddy dns, added the webmail cname record, still the problem persists.

I am confused about the POP and SMTP Cname records. Any suggestions please.

Please provide the pop and SMTP cname record values if possible.

Thanks,

Super User III
Super User III

@AdPun 

Without knowing your domain I can't tell you the exact records

What I usually do is set up an A record for mail pointing to the IP of the server

I then set up the mx record to use mail.domain.com (whatever your domain is)

and it my mail client i just use mail.domain.com as well

godaddy support did all that for me and still my emails are not being received from my wordpress and opencart site. please someone help & PL281 i have visited your site and left you an email / filled out your form to contact you.