cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
nanreet
New

Uploading website to the cpanel

My client wants me to upload the website I built to his go daddy cpanel. I have never done that before and looking for help on how to do that. I only have access to his cpanel.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@nanreet I use Flywheel as well and although you could invite him as a collaborator I can understand your client wanting to have control of the site within their own account.

Personally I would see if you could get him to use a fly wheel account and had to be in his account because obviously fly wheel is cloud-based versus A cPanel shared server, flywheel will give you much better performance.

my recommendation is that you set up a Go Daddy account and then request what is called delegated access which can be limited to just product access so you don’t have any purchasing capabilities. But then you can authenticate into his account without him having to give you his user ID and password. The issue with migrating a word press website from fly wheel is that when you download the back up it typically is just the content folder and does not include the forward press install so what you end up having to do is a little bit of blended migration of downloading wordpress itself so you have the core files. 

And also since you mentioned about google analytics I’m assuming you’re aware that he could or you be a screen share could add yourself to the analytics account as a collaborator and therefore being able to help with managing it again without needing to have his user IDs and passwords

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
PL281
Super User IV

@nanreet 

If you have access to the cPanel you should be able to go to the file manager and upload the files and if needed also create a database.

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

How will I know if I need to create a database?

@nanreet 

It would be based on the website you created - If you built a WordPress site it will need to have the database created.

I guess my question would be what sort of website did you build - You said you haven't transferred a site before - Do you host all the sites for your clients or is this the first site you have built - and it's an HTML or some other site??

@PL281 I have migrated websites before but never to the cpanel. The reason I ask is having to create a log in would be a problem because my client will not have created that login and he is a bit paranoid of his logins or having anyone else have access to his logins. This meant he would not grant me access to his Godaddy account so I build the website on Getflywheel and wound up hosting it their because his PHP was not upgraded at the time and because he had another older themed website hosted that would break if he upgraded his PHP I wound up hosting it from my Getflywheel account. But since then we have upgraded his other website and the PHP and now he wants me to move it back to his hosting site. But again, he is fussy with giving out his logins and makes any changes I need to make hard. He won’t even share his google so I can work on the console or analytics. He shares his screen via Zoom so I can direct him.

­­­----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[photo-logo]
Nanette Thelemaque
Owner/President
InEssence Virtual Assistance

phone: ‪(978) 364-0196
mobile: 603-667-3237
email: nanette@inessenceinc.com
site: inessencevirtualassistance.com
[facebook]
[twitter]
[linkedin]
[youtube]

[banner]

[cid:image007.png@01D71B59.0FB57AF0] [cid:image008.png@01D71B59.0FB57AF0] [cid:image009.jpg@01D71B59.0FB57AF0]

@nanreet I use Flywheel as well and although you could invite him as a collaborator I can understand your client wanting to have control of the site within their own account.

Personally I would see if you could get him to use a fly wheel account and had to be in his account because obviously fly wheel is cloud-based versus A cPanel shared server, flywheel will give you much better performance.

my recommendation is that you set up a Go Daddy account and then request what is called delegated access which can be limited to just product access so you don’t have any purchasing capabilities. But then you can authenticate into his account without him having to give you his user ID and password. The issue with migrating a word press website from fly wheel is that when you download the back up it typically is just the content folder and does not include the forward press install so what you end up having to do is a little bit of blended migration of downloading wordpress itself so you have the core files. 

And also since you mentioned about google analytics I’m assuming you’re aware that he could or you be a screen share could add yourself to the analytics account as a collaborator and therefore being able to help with managing it again without needing to have his user IDs and passwords

View solution in original post