cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

What exactly happens to my site when I upgrade my hosting?

I have three websites with Godaddy, two of which I pay for on a monthly basis and the other (my main site), annually. It appears to me to be more economical to upgrade my main site to deluxe from economy, since I can have unlimited websites, according to Godaddy and then move the other two sites' data across.

What I'd like to know is what changes (if any) are made to my existing economy hosting when it's upgraded to deluxe. Do the DNS, databases and current installation set up remain untouched?

My main site is a WoltLab forum and the other two sites are WordPress.

Many thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Super User III Super User III
Super User III
Solution

Re: What exactly happens to my site when I upgrade my hosting?

If you're just upgrading resources, and not changing platforms, this would generally not affect the primary website.  There would be some downtime moving over the addon websites which you can plan around.  The domains would need to be removed from their current hosting plans before they can be added to this hosting plan, as well as a change to the DNS.  These steps usually take about an hour or two to be reflected.  A possible work around is to change the domain in the hosting plans to sub-domains (something.domain.com) then forward the bare domain to these subdomains.  That would have something in place as you set-up the sites in their new homes, then you can turn off the forwarding.  So this would actually take a little longer, but have less time with nothing on the site.  It would also be more complicated if there are databases involved.

Thanks very much for your prompt reply, Nate.

Yes indeed, I would simply be upgrading the hosting plan on my primary site from Economy (Linux) to Deluxe and remaining with the current platform. I have separate Economy plans for the other two sites, so moving those to the Deluxe plan makes sense to me.

You say, 'generally' this hosting plan upgrade would not affect the primary site. What issues could affect the primary site? It stays exactly where it is, surely?

It's a forum with a lot of activity, hence my question.

The other two are small, static sites and should be very easy to deal with.

Super User III
Super User III
Solution

@Splinter 

Upgrading your hosting platform should not effect the primary domain in this case. As @Nate said, you're just upgrading resources. Something going wrong on this particular type of upgrade is about like getting hit by a meteor meant just for you.

Best Regards,

Joe

Check out my site! | My Garage Articles | Portfolio/Resume

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. I DO NOT PROVIDE ANSWERS VIA PM. If you would like personalized help, you can see my pricing on my services page. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!

Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Ha ha, perfect, thanks Mr Vapor.