cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

What should "DNS Management" look like

I've looked but can't find (or missed) any explanation of the way my domain's DNS Management should be set up. I have one Type A pointing to my IP address, what should the second parked "Type A" do? Do I need a subdomain for "www.mysite.com" after setting the main domain to "mysite.com". What is the best practice?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User I Super User I
Super User I
Solution

Re: What should "DNS Management" look like

Yes, the @ symbol represents your bare domain, delete any that don't point where you want them to go.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Super User I

The proper DNS records are based on the services you use with the domain, like website hosting and email.  The A record below would point the bare domain to your hosting IP address, and the CNAME would point www.yourdomain.com to the same IP address as the bare domain.

TypeHost/namePoints to/value
A@[your hosting IP address]
CNAMEwww@  
New

Thanks. When I do that I end of with three Type A records. One to my real IP, a second to "parked", and a third to a Godaddy IP address. Do I delete the second two, or?

Super User I
Solution

Yes, the @ symbol represents your bare domain, delete any that don't point where you want them to go.

View solution in original post

New

Thanks again. It won't allow editing/deleting the second A Type that points to the Godaddy IP address but the other's gone.