cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

cPanel hosting vs. regular Linux hosting

I have been a Godaddy customer for a decade, with a Linux hosting account and about 10 domains. On my last renewal, the sales guy pitched cPanel Hosting as costing half of what I pay for regular Linux hosting. I did a little reading on the Forum and it appears that many are not satisfied with cPanel since it is on a server that has greater sharing than regular Linux hosting accounts. Can anyone give me details on this? How much more sharing, what is missing vs. regular Linux hosting? I would gladly pay half but not if access is compromised (like a user loading my images on my sites much slower). I realize switching is also an annoyance, since I would have to port everything over to another server and interface. Does anyone have experience with this - can email addresses and access be kept or do those have to be deleted and set up again? Godaddy has no guidance on this on their site. I can do the port no problem, but losing access to the email accounts and having them interrupted is thorny. Thanks in advance for any guidance - it may be that paying half isn't worth it but I'd like to know if someone found it worth it and why. 

6 REPLIES 6
Super User III
Super User III

Re: cPanel hosting vs. regular Linux hosting

@HTMLhack

I assume when you talk about Linux hosting you are referring to the legacy hosting product which use the GoDaddy hosting control panel.

First off as mentioned this is a legacy product as such for example does not support PHP 7.

Second, you mention you are hosting multiple sites. While the cPanel server does support this, I personally do not recommend it especially if they are WordPress sites. HTML sites this is ok. The reasoning is that if a site were to get compromised and a script added it is possible that they person could gain access to all the sites in your account.

For this reason I recommend the VPS servers.

To answer your question about performance, it depends on what you are doing / your needs are. At one point in the past I was running 40 WordPress sites on a single cPanel server with the max amount of memory. Now these sites were all brochure sites (5 pages or so) and had traffic of < 250 hits per day. So they weren’t very resource intensive

Hopefully this answer your questions.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Thanks for your reply, but it doesn't directly answer my question, and it only raises more questions. 

If I have a "legacy product" why is Godaddy charging me twice as much as for "cPanel" hosting on (also) shared servers? Either there is a difference other than two different shared servers and control panels, or I'm seriously getting ripped off. I have called Godaddy every year for the last 3 years asking why my hosting cost has risen so much, yet nothing else changed, I wasn't buying any of their services. This last time after I complained and was told there was no other option, at the end of the conversation the testy sales guy told me about cPanel and that if I switched I'd save half. I then proceeded to ask the same questions I asked above here, and only got this answer: "you can hire us to port everything for you." I told him I don't do that, I can port and code I just needed answers to my questions. Never got them. So here I am. I am seriously thinking I have been getting ripped off for years and maybe I should look for another hosting company. 

None of my sites use Wordpress, I abandoned that years ago when it got hacked on Godaddy and I am able to do as much with direct HTML5/CSS3/Javascript coding. If I needed PHP and an server-side DB I would add it myself. None of my sites are high traffic (have 2000 viewers a day) and never will. So VPS is overkill for me. 

I just need to know why I am paying so much, why there is something half the price, is it better/what's the difference/should I switch, etc. and Godaddy support/sales has not answered my questions. 

Thanks. 

Super User III
Super User III

@HTMLhack 

As I'm an end user like you I can't give a specific answer to why one cost more than other. I know there are many companies / products out there that once you are on a platform you pay the price for that even if something newer / updated tech comes out.

I can tell you that cPanel is far better than the Hosting Control Panel and gives you much more flexibility to the admin of the server.

Based on what you describe the cPanel server should be perfect. In terms of porting the content, you should be able to move everything over and then update the DNS, my biggest recommendation on DNS is make sure the TTL is turned down to custom 600 (10 minutes) like a day or so before you start things so the change will be almost instant.

Many of the postings about the servers are from people that are looking for / paying for a shared server but want / expect the performance of an enterprise level dedicated box - as I mentioned what you described is in my opinion the perfect fit for the cPanel offering / platform

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

PL281: Thanks for the information about cPanel. Can you tell me whether porting my email accounts is a problem since they likely exist on "legacy" servers as I apparently have a "legacy" hosting product. This is my primary concern, it is easy to port code and reset DNS, I just don't know what happens to the email accounts, if they disappear and have to be set up completely again on servers that have cPanel hosting. If you don't know I can call Godaddy again but they have not been helpful and for a company that specializes in server hosting and domains their online help and website are atrocious! Thanks so much in advance. 

Super User III
Super User III
Solution

@HTMLhack 

When I've moved / migrated between the 2 accounts for others in the past, I setup the email on the new server and then setup the webmail to pop to the other server and pull everything in - or I just setup IMAP to both accounts locally and moved the mail that way. 

As the older server was GoDaddy's own control panel there isn't a way to create a backup / restore like with cPanel - so just treat this like you would be moving the mail to a completely different service and do the normal steps you would do

Thanks again, very helpful.