cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

cron jobs not working

I have 3 cron jobs that are scheduled and do not appear to be triggering.  I know the php scripts work as I am able to manually hit the php files with a browser and it triggers.  I also am able to use wget to trigger the scripts using cron on another host to trigger the php file on GoDaddy and it works.

The following command lines are scheduled as cron (## replaces the real user & account numbers, [my-domain] replaces the domain):

• /web/cgi-bin/php5 "/home/content/##/#######/html/blog/wp-content/plugins/thc-plugin/cron/reminder-crontask.php"
  • wget http://[my-domain]/blog/wp-content/plugins/thc-plugin/cron/reminder-crontask.php
  • /web/cgi-bin/php5 "/home/content/##/#######/html/shop/modules/newsletteradmin/cron.php"

There is no error log available for me to review and troubleshoot.  I also added my email to receive cron job error report and get none.  I also used a pipe to force sending an email if the script runs and never get an email. I set the cron to trigger twice an hour while debugging

Please verify that cron is actually triggering the files.  If GoDaddy has a simple test cron job that you could schedule to verify all is operating it would be helpful.

4 REPLIES 4
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: cron jobs not working

Hi @THC. Welcome to GoDaddy Community! It is possible that the cron service has stopped working on the server you're hosted on. If you suspect that to be the case, then you'll need to contact our hosting support team to have that confirmed and addressed. Unfortunately, no one here on the forum would be able to do that for you. Sorry Man Sad

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
New

Thanks JesseW - I contacted GoDaddy support and changed from a legacy Linux plan to a plan that has Linux with cPanel because I was told the cron wasn't supported on the basic Linux plan.  This is confusing because if cron wasn't supported on the basic Linux plan, why would GoDaddy include the cron configuration Icon on the hosting configuration page?  

Anyway - I now have a regular cPanel and was able to configure the cron job and it is working fine.  The better deal is the new plan is less expensive than the old one and I have more control over what I want to do with the cPanel.

Just this afternoon, I started getting addition cron triggers.  I need to contact GoDaddy because even though the old plan is deactivated, I think that the cron jobs I setup started working after I transitioned to the Linux cPanel plan.  I can see both the new plan and old plan on my hosting screen, but can not access the old server to change the settings. 

Community Manager
Community Manager

@THC - Cron jobs are definitely supported on our older, Linux hosting plans. I'm sorry if you were told otherwise. However, moving to the new platform is probably still a good move. You will want to contact support if you aren't able to access your account for some reason. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
New
Solution

Ironically, after moving to the new plan with Linux & cPanel the cron jobs in the old host started working.  I contacted GoDaddy support and they were able to kill the cron jobs on the old host I could no longer access.  It is ironic that the old host supported cron jobs all along, but that there must have been a server problem that was fixed after I shifted to the new server.

I'm happier being on the server that has a real cPanel interface and the plan is less expensive than the previous.  Overall all is well and I'm happy.  This thread can be closed.