cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

email not working, can't receive email to my account (but can send)

I purchased a new domain, initially I set up the free outlook 365 email service and it seems to work fine. then I decided to switch to the webmail in the cPanel hosting plan I have also purchased, I deactivated outlook 365 service and deleted my account, but I have been having problem receiving email in the email I set up ever since (I can send email out but can't receive). the error message seems to indicate it might still be getting routed to outlook server, how do we fix it somewhere in cPanel or anywhere?

thanks very much

6 REPLIES 6
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

Re: email not working, can't receive email to my account (but can send)

@dragonlake 

You will need to update your DNS and set your MX record

I recommend setting up an A record which points to the IP of cPanel server called mail

and then set the MX record to point to mail.yourdomain.com (where you replace yourdomain.com with your actual domain)

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

ah, that was the problem, the MX record was still pointing to outlook! thank you very much for the quick reply!!

@dragonlake What steps did you take for the inconveniences with receiving the emails?

I set the "A" and "MX" record as the previous reply suggested and that appeared to worked. but I am having problem again after trying out the godaddy website builder which appears to have changed some of the DNS setting, I am trying to figure out which ones are causing problem

the problem seems to be the GOCentral website builder changes the "@" A to something other than the actual IP address, that breaks the email delivery. But once I change the "a" A back to the IP address, it breaks the website DNS resolution (doesn't go to the GoCentral build website anymore).  don't know how to resolve this

Super User III
Super User III
Solution

@dragonlake 

What you need to do is change the main IP back to the GoCentral IP

Then edit the cname for mail @ and change it to an A record for mail and put in the cpanel IP address

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community