cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

home directory not visible (in FTP) for new hosted site

I just purchased a hosted site and setup an FTP account.  I successfully logged in via FileZilla but do not see my home / public folder.  The directory contains just one file: .ftpquota.  Through the GoDaddy web-based file manager, I can see my public directory and can upload files.  This must be a configuration issue in my account or FTP setup preventing me from getting to the right location in FileZilla.

I've hosted and built several sites, but never hosted on GoDaddy.  So, I generally know what I'm doing but can't figure out this one weird access issue.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5
Helper V

Re: home directory not visible (in FTP) for new hosted site

@gromf

Hi there,

I noticed something with my main connections.... not just one of them .... the connection starts out as ftp.whatever.com , I have been changing this to ftp://whatever.com (couple of mine are ftps -have not seen it with these), and walla everything works fine.

Such a little thing to overlook. Maybe this will help you?

Wish you well!

Mrsroadrunner Photography
Highlighted
New

Thanks for the response and suggestion.  Unfortunately, it didn't resolve the issue.

whenever I tired to take backup for my site I got an error: 404 not found ..Plz suggest a possible solution

Solution

It's been a couple of years so hopefully you got this issue resolved, but for anyone else looking - I had the issue and solved it.

When making my FTP account it created a "home directory" on the server with my name. The first time I used FTP with the site I deleted everything (including that directory). My FTP account was set to launch me back into that directory and since it wasn't there, I was getting an error.

I wasn't able to manually change the home directory for my FTP account so I made another account and made sure to delete the entry for home directory so it would set me to the root folder.

Hope that helps someone if the future.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks @mikechalmers for sharing your solution! I'm sure it'll help others in the future that may be experiencing the same issue. Take care and hope to see you more in the Community in the future!

Rachel