Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

href Links work on local computer- Fail "file not found" when uploaded and run on Internet

Thank You in advance for any assistance you can provide.

PROBLEM   I’m developing my website locally on my laptop.  (Very new project—just started)   When I copy it to my Internet host (more on this later) the file links quit working (file not found)

A simplified version of what’s happening:

Two files:    home.html    and    myfile.html    stored in the same directory

In   home.html is the code for a link:        <a href="myfile.html">  

When I run the code in a folder on my laptop, click the link,    myfile   opens as expected

When I upload to my Internet host, both files in the default home page directory (public_html in this case)   myfile   link    gives File Not Found

Other info:

Hosted on GoDaddy;  managed via C-Panel

I  only know  very basic HTML coding — and this is my first Internet site

All is  HTTP   not  HTTPS

The above is simplified—but accurately describes the nut of the problem.   The actual page is:   cloudcobbler.com   You may, of course, see the whole code via view source.

Theories:

With what I know now, I can only think of two reasons this isn’t working:

Either GoDaddy hosting changes the way a file needs to be referenced or changes the default directory where it looks for a file    

OR    There is some limitation in GoDaddy that blocks opening the link—perhaps a security thing—or some limit in the services I’m paying for that I wasn’t aware of.

Testing to date:

File construct is fine—if I  change myfile   to   home   then it opens as the home page

Link construct is fine— If I link to an https site it opens as expected.

If I click on a link on the site on the Internet I get GoDaddy’s   404 File Not Found   html page

If I map the GoDaddy home folder as a network drive on my own computer and run it directly from the mapped drive, not from the Internet, then I get  File Not Found — a system version—not the GoDaddy HTML Version.

** Caution—as the site is under development so frequent changes and tests are underway—what you see at any given instant may contain code that’s in place only for development and/or troubleshooting purposes.

Thank You

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Nate
Super User II

Linux is case sensitive so filename.html is not the same as Filename.html while Windows does see them as the same.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Nate
Super User II

Linux is case sensitive so filename.html is not the same as Filename.html while Windows does see them as the same.

View solution in original post

Thank You.  Right on target.