Skip to main content
Help Center
The GoDaddy Community will undergo maintenance starting on Tuesday, August 3rd at 3pm PST / 6pm EST. Learn more
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
mil-web
New

mysql procedures unusable via phpMyAdmin or mysql CLI

Until early 2020, my Linux username on the server was also a username on the MySQL databases for that account, accessed via phpMyAdmin. That changed in April 2020, so that now each phpMyAdmin session uses a temporary username. Consequently any routine created during one session is completely inaccessible on the next login. Please grant privileges to MySQL database accounts again, that will allow routines to be created, edited, dropped and dumped by the account holder, as before.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@mil-web 

I know they made some various security updates over the last few months - I'm not sure if this was one of them. 

As this is a server level issue GoDaddy Support / Admins are the only one that could possibly address - I suggest calling into support as a ticket will probably need to be opened - I can't say for sure this is something that can be added back

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
PL281
Super User IV

@mil-web 

I assume your site was migrated from Linux Deluxe hosting to cPanel based on your statement.

On cPanel each database should have at least 1 user linked with it - you could in theory link multiple databases to one user. You can check this out in the MySQL section of cPanel

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Thanks for your interest in this... Each of my websites has a specific user with its own password. But when I open up phpMyAdmin (either via cPanel or from the menu on myh.godaddy.com) there is no option to switch user or manage user privileges. Instead, a temporary username is assigned for that session only. That temporary user can make changes to any of the databases, but lacks the privileges needed to manage routines (procedures) or even export them, unless created in that seesion. Existing routines can be dropped but not edited or exported. That was certainly not the case prior to April: previously, a phpMyAdmin session via cPanel allowed the user to create and edit procedures. We did not migrate this account - it has been on cPanel for >4 years. This issue appears to result from a change in Godaddy's mySQL servers, but neither the chat- nor help-line staff have been able to resolve it. 

@mil-web 

Just wondering If you go to domain/phpmyadmin can you log in with the server user / password?

@PL281  Unfortunately not, but it's an interesting thought - to by-pass cPanel I'd need to set up a separate copy of phpmyadmin within its own website folder, I presume? Certainly worth investigating, but last week when I logged into the mySQL server directly from a command line using SSH, I could not grant my database usernames the SHOW_ROUTINES privilege, and so can't even export the procedures with a "mysqldump --routines" command. Even with phpMyAdmin set up to log in one of those users, I expect the underlying issue (missing privileges) would still be there. 

@mil-web 

I just found this cPanel article form 2017 but it sounds exactly like what you are describing - https://forums.cpanel.net/threads/cant-access-mysql-procedures-insufficient-privileges.613727/

The issue is in cPanel you don't have Root / Super Privileges as you are in a shared environment - you may have to use a VPS to accomplish this.

@PL281, I truly appreciate your time and effort to resolve this. As recently as March, though, my Linux username on the webserver was also a mySQL user with all the privileges necessary to create, edit and export procedures, and cPanel/phpMyAdmin would use that account when logging onto the database server.

For no apparent reason that changed in April: either by accident or intentionally, GoDaddy has removed this functionality without notice or apology. I've tried to find a workaround, and spent hours on the line with the chat/call centre but they have been unable to rectify or explain why this change was made.

It seems to me that it is now up to the *GoDaddy* engineers to restore the level of service this "Ultimate Linux Hosting with cPanel" account signed up for.

@mil-web 

I know they made some various security updates over the last few months - I'm not sure if this was one of them. 

As this is a server level issue GoDaddy Support / Admins are the only one that could possibly address - I suggest calling into support as a ticket will probably need to be opened - I can't say for sure this is something that can be added back

View solution in original post