cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
sedaray
New

permalinks NON-Wordpress

I have a website A, and a subdomain website B. 

I forward Domain Name B to website B. 

Website A urls are websitea.com/page1.html  etc

Website B urls are websiteb.com no matter what page I’m viewing in the browser.

I want my subdomain website  B to also have complete addresses for each page, i.e. websiteb.com/page1.

First, what is the correct terminology for this so I can research the problem?  Not one godaddy “guide” could help me.

Second, of course, I’d like to know how to fix this.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@ReReDouble / @sedaray 

I'm not sure what you are saying by "Pay More..." 

As @Nate  as mentioned it sounds like you are forwarding your domain with the GoDaddy Forwarding system https://dcc.godaddy.com/manage/YOURDOMAIN.COM/dns and from there in the lower right corner you are forwarding it.

As @Nate  suggested, you want to remove the forwarding and point the @ record to the IP address of the server. From there the settings in cPanel will take over.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

JesseW
Community Manager

Beyond the answers provided by @PL281 and @Nate, I think the term you're looking for is "redirect". If you want to visit example1.com/url.html and then end up at example2.com/url.html, that would be a redirect. You would need to have the first domain hosted on some form of hosting to set up a redirect. Likewise, the second domain would also need to be hosted if you wanted it to have it's own files. Hope that helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

6 REPLIES 6
PL281
Super User IV

@sedaray 

This isn't permalinks - permalinks deal with specific code in the HTML to help search engines identify the pages.

What are your actual domains and how are you forwarding them?

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

I know it's NOT permalinks, what is it?

It worked great for years until godaddy wanted ME to do the work of moving to a new server (isn't that THEIR job? Not my fault their server needed to be upgraded.)

Please just tell me what it's called and what the right way to forward is:

Main site: menu item addresses are passed on to address mainsite.com/page1.html

I want both sites to do this.

I did:

Cpanel - created subdomain - populated subdomain.

Domain name for subdomain - DNS Management - Forwarding to [at this point I and several godaddy help people tried all sorts of variations. What used to work is to point at public_html/dubdomain.mainsite/index.html].  Now that forwarding only shows what used to be called "frames", i.e. the address of the subdomain.com remains in the window no matter what page I'm on, subdomain.com/page1.html is what I expect, but nooooooo.

"... pay more."  Yeah, I get it. 

Ironically, a week ago if ANY godaddy "guide" had explained this, I might have done it.  But that's a slimy way of getting me to pay more: by taking away features that were available and making them and "upgrade".

So NOBODY knows the terminology for what I'm trying to do?  

@ReReDouble / @sedaray 

I'm not sure what you are saying by "Pay More..." 

As @Nate  as mentioned it sounds like you are forwarding your domain with the GoDaddy Forwarding system https://dcc.godaddy.com/manage/YOURDOMAIN.COM/dns and from there in the lower right corner you are forwarding it.

As @Nate  suggested, you want to remove the forwarding and point the @ record to the IP address of the server. From there the settings in cPanel will take over.

JesseW
Community Manager

Beyond the answers provided by @PL281 and @Nate, I think the term you're looking for is "redirect". If you want to visit example1.com/url.html and then end up at example2.com/url.html, that would be a redirect. You would need to have the first domain hosted on some form of hosting to set up a redirect. Likewise, the second domain would also need to be hosted if you wanted it to have it's own files. Hope that helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.