Workspace Email account limitations
The following limitations apply to Workspace Email accounts:
- Incoming Mail Size: There's a 30 MB limit per email message you receive, including file attachments, which have a size limit of 20 MB total. Messages larger than 30 MB are rejected by our incoming server and a bounceback message is sent to the sender. There is no limit on the number of email messages you can receive. You should also try to keep your inbox under 20,000 messages, as having so many could limit performance.
- Outgoing Mail Size (SMTP Relay): There's a 30 MB limit per email message that you send using SMTP, including file attachments, which have a size limit of 20 MB total. Messages larger than 30 MB are rejected by our outgoing server, which you'll be notified about.
Note: The receiving email server might have different size restrictions. Many email providers and ISPs reject email larger than 5-10 MB.
- SMTP relays: SMTP relays: SMTP relays let you send emails through our servers using third-party clients, such as Microsoft Outlook®. To prevent spam, we set our email accounts to 500 SMTP relays per day by default. This includes International Business Email plans.
- Emails per folder: No single folder can exceed 330,000 emails.
- Folders: An account can't have more than 2,000 folders.
- Sent Mail Messages: To prevent spam, we limit the number of email recipients to whom you can send messages to 500 per day. There's a 200 per minute sending limitation as well as a 300 per hour sending limitation. Any distribution lists are expanded to their actual recipient lists and any duplicate addresses in a single email are removed.
- Outgoing Mail Size: There's a 30 MB size limit per email message, which includes file attachments. Meaning, your message can't exceed 30 MB in size, including the size of your file attachments. File attachments have a size limit of 20 MB total.
- Number of Addresses: There is a limit of 100 addresses on a single email message. The 100 addresses can include any combination of the To, CC, and BCC fields. If there are more than 100 total addresses, the compose window shows an error and the message is not sent. You must reduce the recipient list and then resend your message.
Counting recipients: Web-Based Email expands any distribution lists and aliases to their actual recipients. Any duplicate addresses in the To, CC, and BCC fields are removed.
- Address Book: You can add up to 10,000 contacts to your address book.
- Address Book Importing: You can import up to 2,000 contacts at one time to your address book.
- Distribution Lists: You can add up to 100 contacts to a single distribution list.
Compare email marketing plans for sending out large mailings.
- If you have Microsoft 365, see
- Delete emails from your inbox