Changing the Remote Desktop Connection Port for Your Windows Server
You can change the Remote Desktop Connection port for your Windows server as an added security measure.
To Change the Remote Desktop Connection Port for Your Windows Server
- Log in to Remote Desktop as an administrative user.
- Click the Start Menu and select Run.
- Type regedit.exe and click OK.
- Navigate through the System Registry and select the following registry key:
- Right-click and select Modify.
- Select the Decimal radial option.
- Change the value to your desired port number.
- Restart your Web server.
Note: If your server uses a firewall, you need to open the new port on it. If you don't, you cannot access your server over RDC. The process to open the port depends on your firewall.
Note: The instructions below are for ASDM version 6.4. However, if you have a PIX 501 Firewall or an ASA 5505 Firewall running an older version of ASDM, the menus might differ slightly, but the process is similar.
- In a Web browser, navigate to: https://[your firewall management IP address]. You might receive a number of security certificate warnings. If you accept the certs and save them as Trusted, you will avoid warnings in the future.)
Note: Depending on which Cisco ASDM version you have installed, several options might display. If so, click Run ASDM Applet.
- When prompted, type your server User name and firewall password. Click OK. You will be prompted to login twice.
Note: Your browser must have Java enabled and allow pop-ups from your firewall management IP.
- In the Device Manager application tool bar, click the Configuration icon.
- Click Firewall in the lower left corner.
- In the Firewall section, click Access Rules.
- Click +Add, and then select Add Access Rule....
- Complete the following:
- Interface — Select outside.
- Action — Select Permit.
- Source — Select any.
- Destination — Select any.
- Service — Complete the following steps:
- Click ....
- Click +Add, and then select TCP Service Group.
- Enter a Group Name and Description.
- Select Create new member.
- In the Port/Range field, enter the port you want to use.
- Click Add>>.
- Click OK.
- Select the new Service you added, and then click OK.
- Click OK.
- Click Apply.