Installing Software on Your Linux Server Using Yum or RPM
- Connect to your server via SSH (more info).
- Switch to the root user (more info).
- Run the following command to see if your software is available via yum.
[root]# yum info MySoftwareName
- If the result displays that the software is available, and you are happy with the version, run:
[root]# yum install MySoftwareName
- If the software is not available, you will have to find the RPM and copy it to your server. You can use scp to copy the file. Then, use RPM on your server to install the package.
[root]# cd dirWhereRPMResides
[root]# rpm -i MyRPMName
For more details on yum and rpm, see the man pages.
[root]# man rpm
[root]# man yum