My Poynt Smart Terminal can't scan cards
If the Poynt Smart Terminal can’t read a payment card while it’s inserted, an error alert will appear on the screen. There are some things that you can do to troubleshoot the error and if troubleshooting doesn’t work you can manually enter the credit card information.
Step 1: Troubleshoot the error message
Tap the alert to view the error message, such as Card not detected, Re-insert Card or Reset terminal.
Here are some ways you can troubleshoot these errors:
- Review the error message on the screen and take any suggested action. A credit card may have been declined or have another issue that the customer needs to resolve (expired, wrong PIN, etc.).
- Make sure the card is inserted all the way.
- If the card doesn’t have a chip, make sure that the front of the credit card is facing up. The magnetic strip on the back of the card should be facing down on the right side, next to the green LED light. Make sure the card remains inserted until the Poynt Smart Terminal says to remove it, and then remove it rapidly.
- If the card has a chip, make sure the front of the card is facing up with the chip inserted first. Leave the card in the Poynt Smart Terminal until the transaction is complete.
- Reset the Poynt Smart Terminal by pressing and holding the power button for 30 seconds, then power it back on.
Step 2: Process the charge manually
If the Poynt Smart Terminal can’t read the customer’s card, process the charge manually.
- Log into your Poynt Smart Terminal.
- Create an order with the Poynt Smart Terminal in the Register app.
- Tap Charge > Manual Entry.
- Enter the credit card information and tap Charge.
- Wait for the customer to sign the Customer screen. If you don’t want a signature, tap Skip.
- Wait for the customer to select their receipt type.
Step 3: Contact Customer Support
Issues with the Poynt Smart Terminal could be caused by any number of things that are out of your control, like an expired card or insufficient funds. If your Poynt Smart Terminal can’t read any (or most) cards, though, there may be an issue with the device. Please contact us for additional assistance. Our GoDaddy Guides are here to help.
- Here is what you should know if your customer’s card is declined.
- Learn how to process a credit card transaction with the Poynt Smart Terminal.
- If you're looking for help with a Poynt Card Reader, see your Poynt Card Reader won't scan cards.