My Poynt Smart Terminal isn't powering on
Your Poynt Smart Terminal comes with a charging dock and a power cord. You can charge the Smart Terminal by placing it in the charging dock or by plugging it directly into a wall outlet. If your Smart Terminal will not power on or hold a charge, try these troubleshooting steps.
Step 1: Check the power cord connections
Verify that everything is connected securely and that there isn't any damage to the power cord.
- Connect the power cord to the charging dock and plug it into a wall outlet.
- Check the cord that leads from the wall socket to the "power brick," ensuring it is fastened at each connection point and that the LED indicator on the adapter displays a green light.
- If everything is connected correctly and there's no power to the system, try plugging the device into a different outlet.
Step 2: Check the charging dock connection
Confirm that the Smart Terminal is seated correctly in the charging dock and the dock isn't damaged.
- Seat the Smart Terminal correctly in the charging dock (with the cord extending toward the merchant screen).
- The charging pins and the Smart Terminal contacts should connect. Look for damaged or bent pins.
- Connect the Smart Terminal to the power cord and check the device's LED indicator.
- From the Home screen, tap Help, then tap Diagnostics, then tap Dock. If you see a green check mark, the device is correctly docked.
Step 3: Try a hard power reset (press and hold the power button for 30 seconds)
Next, attempt a hard power reset.
- Seat the Smart Terminal in the charging dock, then press and hold the power button for 30 seconds.
- Ignore any prompts that appear on the screen.
- After 30 seconds, attempt to turn on the device. Press and hold the power button for at least 3 seconds (your device may take longer to power on).
Step 4: Plug the Smart Terminal directly into a wall socket
Try bypassing the charging dock and connect the device directly to a wall socket.
- Remove the device from the charging dock.
- Plug the power cord into the outlet and then plug it directly into the Smart Terminal.
- If your Smart Terminal is charging or getting power with the charging dock removed, there is probably an issue with the dock. The dock will need to be replaced.
Step 5: Charge the Smart Terminal for an hour
Allow the Smart Terminal to charge for at least an hour before turning it on.
- Place the Smart Terminal on the charging dock or plug it directly into a wall socket.
- Wait at least an hour before attempting to power it on.
Contact GoDaddy for further options
If the Smart Terminal still won't power on, contact us for additional assistance. Our GoDaddy Guides are here to help. We may need your business name, email address, and customer number, so please make sure to have that info handy.