My Poynt Smart Terminal isn't powering on
Your Poynt Smart Terminal comes with a charging dock, or you can plug it in directly to an outlet. If your Poynt Smart Terminal won't power on or hold a charge, try these troubleshooting steps.
Step 1: Check the power cord connections
Verify that everything is connected securely and that there isn't any damage to the power cord.
- Connect the power cord to the wall socket and the docking station.
- Check the cord that leads from the wall socket to the "power brick," ensuring it is fastened at each connection point and that the LED indicator on the adapter displays a green light.
- If everything is connected correctly and there's no power to the system, try plugging the device into a different outlet.
Step 2: Check the docking station connection
Confirm that the Poynt Smart Terminal is seated correctly in the docking station and that the docking station isn't damaged.
- Seat the Poynt Smart Terminal correctly in the docking station (with the cord extending toward the merchant screen).
- The charging pins and the Poynt Smart Terminal contacts should connect. Look for damaged or bent pins.
- Connect the Poynt Smart Terminal to the power cable and check the device's LED indicator.
- Tap Help > Diagnostics > Dock from the home screen. If you see a green check mark, the device is correctly docked.
Step 3: Try a hard power reset (press and hold the power button for 30 seconds)
Next, attempt a hard power reset.
- Seat the Poynt Smart Terminal in the docking station, then press and hold the power button for 30 seconds.
- Ignore any prompts that appear on the screen.
- After 30 seconds, attempt to turn on the device. Press and hold the power button for at least 3 seconds (your smart terminal may take longer to power on).
Step 4: Plug the Poynt Smart Terminal directly into a wall socket
Try bypassing the docking station and connect the device directly to a wall socket.
- Remove the device from the docking station.
- Plug the power cord into the outlet and then plug it directly into the Poynt Smart Terminal.
- If your Poynt Smart Terminal is charging or getting power with the docking station removed, there is probably an issue with the docking station. The docking station will need to be replaced.
Step 5: Charge the Poynt Smart Terminal for an hour
Allow the Poynt Smart Terminal to charge for at least an hour before turning it on.
- Place the Poynt Smart Terminal on the docking station or plug it directly into a wall socket.
- Wait at least an hour before attempting to power it on.
Contact GoDaddy for further options
If the Poynt Smart Terminal still won't power on, contact us for additional assistance. Our GoDaddy Guides are here to help. We may need your business name, email address, and customer number, so please make sure to have that info handy.