Why do I have a delayed payment?
A delayed payment is a transaction or collection of transactions that have been flagged for review and aren’t included in your current payout.
We periodically review your transactions to keep you safe from fraud and scams. If we find anything out of the ordinary, we’ll delay payment on the transaction so that we can review it. This protects you from accepting unauthorized or fraudulent payments (for example, someone using a stolen credit card) which could have repercussions later for you and your business. We want to make sure your business is protected.
Additionally, money you receive through GoDaddy Payments can’t be paid out until you complete the one-time GoDaddy Payments setup process and link a bank account. In the meantime, those funds will be held until you complete the one-time setup process and tell us where to deposit them.
Note: If your GoDaddy Payments application was declined, but you have pending payments or hardware orders (like the Poynt Smart Terminal or Poynt Card Reader), please contact us for assistance. Our GoDaddy Guides are here to help.
Check out the info below for answers to other commonly asked questions about delayed payments. Select a question to see its answer:
- How do I know if I have a delayed payment?
- What happens if I have a delayed payment?
- How long does it take delayed payments to clear?
- How can I avoid delayed payments?
- What do I do if all my payments are delayed?
How do I know if I have a delayed payment?
You can find info about delayed payments in the Payments Hub or through the mobile app.
- Payments Hub: Sign in to your Payments Hub (use your GoDaddy username and password). If you have a delayed payment, there will be a grey note in your payouts Payouts section and Balance page explaining the delay.
- Mobile App: Tap Payments, then Overview. Any delayed payments will appear in the Upcoming Transfer box.
What happens if I have a delayed payment?
This depends on why the funds are being held. You’ll receive details via email or an alert at the top of your Payments Hub, but there are two main reasons that a payment could be delayed:
- You still need to provide business info and link a bank account
Most GoDaddy accounts come with GoDaddy Payments enabled, so you can quickly begin accepting payments through Online Pay Links, Virtual Terminal or your online store. To have your funds deposited into your bank account, you’ll still need to complete a one-time setup process and link a bank account.
Once you’ve verified your business info and provided your bank account info, we’ll begin depositing your payouts at each Close of Day.
- A transaction has been flagged for additional review
- If additional info is not needed: We’ll clear the transactions and release the funds by 5:00 PM Pacific Time (no action is needed from you).
- If additional info is needed: We’ll email you about the flagged transaction(s) and ask for more details to verify the transaction. Generally, cardholder information and proof of sale documents are enough to clear transactions. We typically complete the review within 1-2 business days after receiving your documents.
If a payment has been delayed for more than 1-2 business days, it’s likely that additional info is needed to complete the review process. Check to see if you’ve received an email from GoDaddy requesting more information about the transaction. Use the contact info in the email to provide any missing documentation. Once a transaction is verified, it’ll be included in your next scheduled payout.
How long does it take delayed payments to clear?
Our goal is to clear held payments as quickly as we can. We know you rely on this money and we want your business to run smoothly. If a payment is held for review, the amount of time it takes to clear depends on whether we need additional verification from you:
- If additional info is not needed: We’ll clear the payment by 5:00 PM Pacific Time and it will be included in your next scheduled payout.
- If additional info is needed: The overall turnaround time is usually 2 to 3 business days, depending on how quickly we receive documentation from you. You’ll receive an email on the same day that the payment is flagged with details about what we need from you and where to send it. Usually, the review will be complete within 1-2 business days after we receive your documentation. The released funds will be included in your next scheduled payout.
How can I avoid transactions being flagged for review?
There are different reasons payments might be flagged and not all of them are under your control. However, there are some basic guidelines that you can follow. These may help prevent payment holds – and they’re good business practices.
- Build up a history of positive payment transactions. Establish yourself as a merchant in good standing by fulfilling your orders and obligations as advertised.
- Work with your customers to resolve issues. If multiple customers file chargebacks with your company, it can delay availability of your funds. The best way to avoid this is to follow up with customers and resolve issues before they result in a chargeback.
- Keep your business above-board. All accounts are monitored for policy compliance. If your company engages in unusual, suspicious or risk-exposing activity, or if you begin selling prohibited products or services, related transactions in your GoDaddy Payments account will likely be placed on hold for additional review. For more information, please review the Commerce Services Agreement, Section 9.
What do I do if all my payments are delayed?
To protect your company from chargebacks, unauthorized payments or fraud, we routinely review transactions made using the GoDaddy Payments platform. When we discover unusual activity, we occasionally delay all payments to the account (not just one transaction) for a specific period of time while we research the transactions further. If all payments are delayed, you can continue to process transactions, but funds may be unavailable for several days.
- How do I know if my payments will be delayed?
If we need to delay payments to your account, you’ll receive an email notice with additional information. There will also be a note under Payouts in your Payments Hub and in your Balance page. The email includes info about any documentation that we need from you and the amount of time that the delay will be in effect.
- What do I need to do?
First, make sure you’ve completed the one-time setup process and linked your bank account to GoDaddy Payments. If you’ve already done that, then your transactions have been flagged for review by our risk analysts. You can wait for the transactions to be reviewed, which will happen within the timeframe stated in the email. You may also be able appeal the delay in certain situations. The email you receive will specify the number of days that funds will be delayed and outline any steps you can take to appeal.
The duration of the review period varies from one account to another. Keep your account in good standing to mitigate risk, and we'll continue to evaluate regularly.
- When will my funds release?
Refer to your email for the length of time that your transactions will be held for review. Funds are usually released in a rolling timeframe while the delay is in effect. For example, if an account is on a 7-day delay, funds from day 1 will usually be released on day 8, funds from day 2 will be released on day 9, and so on. When the evaluation period is complete, any remaining delayed payments will be released in a batch within 1-2 business days.
For details about specific transactions, check your Balance for further information, including expected release dates for each of your transactions.