cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing directly to WP database - bad idea?

Hi, I'm migrating a relatively small self-coded site to WordPress.

I have WP installed on a subdomain set up under my primary domain (temp.mysite.com), and I've imported most of the content to the WP site by simply creating new pages, pasting text into the HTML tab, and editing as needed on the visual tab.

My next step is to start importing some questions & answers from the old site's database into comments on the WP site. I'm pretty competent when it comes to databases, and I've done enough in MySQL to feel pretty confident in my ability to reverse-engineer the way comments are stored in the Wordpress database and import them with SQL statements rather than entering them manually. My question is whether or not it's safe to mess around in the database behind a healthy WP installation.

If anyone has done this before - is it really as simple as adding rows to the 'Posts' table, or are other tables manipulated as well? Is there something like a stored procedure (Sorry, MS SQL Server terminology) that I should use instead of just adding rows directly to the posts table? Other thoughts/comments?

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1

Re: Importing directly to WP database - bad idea?

This may be easier than i think..

I found the wp-new comment function here: https://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/wp_new_comment

Seems like this might be the best way to go. If so, then my next question would be how to execute this. I don't think it would be in the MyPHPAdmin SQL window, or would it?