Skip to main content
Help Center
The GoDaddy Community will undergo maintenance starting on Wednesday, July 28th at 3pm PST / 6pm EST. Learn more
  • GoDaddy Community
  • Buying & Selling Domains
  • Buying & Selling Domains

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    alexein89
    New

Domain Broker Service on a GoDaddy domain?

So last week I went on the domain I wanted to buy. I suddenly noticed that GoDaddy had this domain and that I could buy it on their website.
    I went and I stepped in the Broker Service scam as you get it too late that the 70$ are just a consultation, which probably never happen. 
    But hey, probably my fault, so I set the range price and waited.

One week later, I decide to check.. Still nothing. Also checking here on the Community I took the advice to go on Whois and look who actually had the domain.. and, surprise: GoDaddy LLC owns it.

Nevertheless, few hours later I receive this mail from GoDaddy Broker Service where they tell me they're still making contact with the owner, and also (joke in the joke) tell me that they look on Whois and make contact with the owner to start the trade.

Fast recap: Whois publicly say the Godaddy owns the domain; GoDaddy makes me pay for get in the touch with the owner.

So, basically, GoDaddy is telling me that in ONE WEEK, they haven't GOT IN TOUCH WITH THEMSELVES, as they're the owner.

Also, they're charging me 70$ to get in touch and trade with themselves.

If this is not a joke please wake me up now.

It's so ridicolous, I wonder how nobody ever denounced you for stealing money.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
    PL281
    Super User IV

@alexein89 

We are end users here. My first question is what is the domain you are trying to get?

My experience with getting domains / using the domain broker is that you have a few different things in play.

1) GoDaddy DOES NOT purchase domain which have expired - there are different redemption periods and as such this sometime will reflect updated expirations / status etc

2) There are back orders so sometimes people grab domains as soon as they become available via this method.

3) In regards to contacting a domain owner, they are going through the same steps / WHOIS records if you were doing this directly on your own - so if there is privacy on a domain it can take longer for the domain owner to reply - if they do even get the email.

The purpose of the domain broker service is to add a middle person between you and the seller.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

TLH

Hi @alexein89,

Welcome to the Community.

GoDaddy does not own the domain name "CHIMERAFARM.COM". They are the registrar for the domain, so the whois data you are seeing reflects the privacy information provided by GoDaddy on the domain - to obscure the ownership content (at the registrant's, or owner's choice). GoDaddy does not own its customers' domains in their private accounts, so the Domain Broker Service is put in place to contact those owners to negotiate for the sale of the domain. The points made by @PL281 are correct. And GoDaddy acts as the go-between for the purchase of that owner's domain. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
    Supporting you at godaddy.com/help/contact-us
    3 REPLIES 3
    PL281
    Super User IV

@alexein89 

We are end users here. My first question is what is the domain you are trying to get?

My experience with getting domains / using the domain broker is that you have a few different things in play.

1) GoDaddy DOES NOT purchase domain which have expired - there are different redemption periods and as such this sometime will reflect updated expirations / status etc

2) There are back orders so sometimes people grab domains as soon as they become available via this method.

3) In regards to contacting a domain owner, they are going through the same steps / WHOIS records if you were doing this directly on your own - so if there is privacy on a domain it can take longer for the domain owner to reply - if they do even get the email.

The purpose of the domain broker service is to add a middle person between you and the seller.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Hi, thanks for your response but it doesn't resolve or help me.

I get all the 3 points and I understand how it works, but something is wrong with the Broker Service.

As I said I check on WHOIS record and it says that GoDaddy owns the domain I'm trying to get ( CHIMERAFARM.COM ). 

link of the record: https://whois.domaintools.com/chimerafarm.com

So I don't get the "add a middle person between me and the seller", as I can see GoDaddy is the seller, so why I'm paying for the Broker Service?

There's no need for a Middle person as the middle person is the seller himself.

TLH

Hi @alexein89,

Welcome to the Community.

GoDaddy does not own the domain name "CHIMERAFARM.COM". They are the registrar for the domain, so the whois data you are seeing reflects the privacy information provided by GoDaddy on the domain - to obscure the ownership content (at the registrant's, or owner's choice). GoDaddy does not own its customers' domains in their private accounts, so the Domain Broker Service is put in place to contact those owners to negotiate for the sale of the domain. The points made by @PL281 are correct. And GoDaddy acts as the go-between for the purchase of that owner's domain. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
    Supporting you at godaddy.com/help/contact-us