cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Beginner question about transferring a domain.

Hello, I'm a beginner to web development, so this might be a stupid question. I had a simple Squarespace website up for a while with my art portfolio on it, but now I'm trying to make a new website with Wordpress.org using Dreamhost as the web host.

I wanted to keep the same domain name so I requested a domain transfer from Squarespace to Dreamhost, but I'm not sure what this entails. Does only the domain name get transferred? Or does it still link to my old Squarespace website? I'm trying to start from scratch and build a new website with a Wordpress theme using my old domain name, but that won't work if my Squarespace site is still up and running.

What do I do next? If I delete my old Squarespace site after the domain is transferred, will I be able to build a new site with Wordpress with the same domain name?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Super User I

@tarancepil 

For your domain to display your new website, the nameservers need to be changed on your domain's DNS record to reflect those provided by your new host.

Transfers alone generally will not make that change, you as the site owner will probably have to do that.  I don't use Dreamhost as a Registrar so I am not sure of their process.

If you want to keep an active online presence, you don't want to change those nameservers to Dreamhost until you are ready to go live with the new site.   So work on your WordPress website, then when you are ready, change the designated nameservers (as provided by Dreamhost) on your domain's DNS record.

You can then safely cancel Squarespace a week or two later.   I always like to provide some time for the domain's new location to propagate throughout the network.

Does this help?  😉

Judith
"Broken crayons still color." Anon

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Super User I

@tarancepil 

For your domain to display your new website, the nameservers need to be changed on your domain's DNS record to reflect those provided by your new host.

Transfers alone generally will not make that change, you as the site owner will probably have to do that.  I don't use Dreamhost as a Registrar so I am not sure of their process.

If you want to keep an active online presence, you don't want to change those nameservers to Dreamhost until you are ready to go live with the new site.   So work on your WordPress website, then when you are ready, change the designated nameservers (as provided by Dreamhost) on your domain's DNS record.

You can then safely cancel Squarespace a week or two later.   I always like to provide some time for the domain's new location to propagate throughout the network.

Does this help?  😉

Judith
"Broken crayons still color." Anon

View solution in original post

Super User II

A domain transfer is in regard to the registration, you would control where a domain points with the company who holds your registration.

Generally you would unlock the domain and get an authorization code from the old registrar, then purchase a transfer at the new registrar.  For most domains, like .com, this includes an additional year to your existing term.  But some domains work differently.