Skip to main content
Help Center
The GoDaddy Community will undergo maintenance starting on Wednesday, July 28th at 3pm PST / 6pm EST. Learn more
  • GoDaddy Community
  • GoDaddy Website Builders
  • GoDaddy Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 

Can't I just design my own site?

The only options I see for building a website are using Website Builder, using WordPress, or hiring a designer.

Can't I just design and implement my website and use FTP to upload it? I've done that before and I'm quite experienced at it.

8 REPLIES 8
    justingodfrey
    Rockstar II

@rhickok1109 wrote:

The only options I see for building a website are using Website Builder, using WordPress, or hiring a designer.

Can't I just design and implement my website and use FTP to upload it? I've done that before and I'm quite experienced at it.

@rhickok1109 Yes, you don't have to use any products from Godaddy, just purchase hosting and upload your files through FTP.

----

Retired
    Not applicable

Hi @rhickok1109,

there are indeed many ways you can build your own site. You can design it yourself using a CMS that's supported (check first), (I mention CMS because Wordpress isn't the only player in town, adobe muse for example ) or hand coding it yourself and uploading it yourself with ftp. 

The option for doing this isn't hid away. You just purchase the hosting and say no to most of the other options! You end up with just the hosting in your basket. 

I'm glad to hear that ... but I don't see instructions anywhere on how to use FTP, how to create subdirectories, etc. Can you point me to some information about those things?

Retired
    Not applicable

@rhickok1109,

there are lots of godaddy documents online, but you will need minimum a text editor and perhaps FileZilla to upload files. 

Yes, after you purchase a web hosting plan you can use FileZilla to upload the website files:

https://www.godaddy.com/help/filezilla-ftp-settings-to-upload-your-website-104

Upload the files using the same structure as on your computer, for example if you upload a folder it would be a sub-directory in the hosting plan.

Note that I use Microsoft Expression Web and Microsoft Visual Studio to edit web sites and upload using FTP. What a person uses depends on many things and what they are familiar with is usually a major consideration, whether it should be or not.

SamHobbs
    Helper V

@rhickok1109, what have you used to create web sites? I assume you want to use it if possible. Does it have FTP capability? If not, then what did you use previously to upload your site(s)?

JHasselbring
    Helper VI

@rhickok1109,

Yes you can, many of us still do that.  If you want to design on your own, do not purchase any specific web hosting such as GoCentral or WordPress hosting etc.  Pick a simple web hosting, preferably, with cPanel or VPS/Dedicated. Those 3 I mentioned should give you access to ftp, possibly ssh.  What those 3 have the others don't are access to apache configuration files.

~Jan Mykhail Hasselbring Web Administrator @ fullstackwebsolution.com