cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Error When adding CName: An Unexpected Error Occurred. If This Issue Continues, Contact Support

Hi I am trying to add blogger to my DNS record and every time I add the CName with the information and click save I receive this error message. 

Here is what i am trying to add:  CName       www     ghs.google.com

The information is correct so why am I getting this error message?

11 REPLIES 11
Helper II
Solution

Re: Error When adding CName: An Unexpected Error Occurred. If This Issue Continues, Contact Support

@SaundraR This is likely an error.

www is normally an alias for your domain, so you're record will be...

www IN CNAME @

Along with something like...

blog IN CNAME ghs.google.com

Trying to add www pointing to some random domain is possible, if you run your own DNS infrastructure. Likely GoDaddy checks to ensure www is correctly pointed to it's parent domain.

Re: Error When adding CName: An Unexpected Error Occurred. If This Issue Continues, Contact Support

I am having the exact same issue, and I am not sure I understand the solution. How exactly were you able to do this? 

Thanks in advance for anyhelp you can give!

Error When adding CName: An Unexpected Error Occurred. If This Issue Continues, Contact Support

Error when trying to add DNS A record... An unexpected error occurred if this issue continues contact support.

Pls what's the solution?
Anonymous
Not applicable

New

what should be done then? My domain is connected to shopify. When I checked the records there are no www cname so the support team there asked me to add but it always say there is an error.

This doesn't clear up the issue for me. Essentially, I am using a domain name without hosting to point to a thinkific site.

I want my custom domain to point to my thinkific URL. So if I do not want anything before my custom domain, what do I add as Alias if not "www".

Eg. I have a custom domain: www.skipper.com. I have a thinkific site, www.skipper-school.thinkific.com. If I want www.skipper.com to point to www.skipper-school.thinkific.com, what do I put in as the alias?

Thanks!

Sir, it's not working, please help.

Solution: https://www.godaddy.com/community/Managing-Domains/Error-Adding-CNAME/m-p/14735#M2938

"I just had the same problem. I called up the helpline and was advised that if there is already a www record you should edit that instead of adding a new one. HTH."

New

I read through the thread on this error, but either don't understand the solution, or it doesn't work.  I'm going from wix to godaddy, and they both lay it out pretty simply.  However, when I copy the data from wix into the boxes of godaddy and then click on the button, it gives me this error.  I have even typed them in instead of copy/paste but that didn't work either.  I called the support line but the wait time is 30 minutes. Any help would be appreciated!

Actually you are trying to create 4th cname record(cname type record shold be only in 3 row). so instead of creating new one you just have to edit existing one form www to @

CName @ ghs.google.com.

Thank you.

This worked for me! Thanks.