cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

International TLDs

I'm in Canada. I just started adding international TLDs to my portfolio for a handful of projects I have on the go. I had recently registered a .UK domain and in the past week it disappeared from my domain list here at GoDaddy. I know some international TLDs are not available for registration in Canada. Is .UK one of them?

Is there a 'master list' somewhere that can tell me which ones I can or cannot register? I have a .NL and a .ORG.UK domain which I still see listed in my account so I think I'm okay with them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Super User II Super User II
Super User II

Hey @LooseinkNinja,

First off I can tell you from experience that international domains going from Country to Country can be tricky. Often times there are rules with who can own a international domain and what its use can be. I'm sure you are aware that .CA are limited to: Individuals and entities that meet the registration requirements include Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada, aboriginal people indigenous to Canada, or legal representatives of Canadian citizens or permanent residents. Non-individual registrants include all other legal registrant types, such as corporations. Applicants must meet the Canadian Presence Requirements. As an example see About .ca Domains

Additionally while you may be able to initially register or transfer a domain they are periodically audited to ensure the proper use and registration. GoDaddy has developed a robust list of TLD requirements, you can check out About .uk domains and see the ownership and registration requirements. I have seen domains kind of "jailed" so to speak and seemingly disappear from control but if you have the domain for a valid reason and meet the requirements to own it then there should be no issue getting it out?

Holding international TLDs for later sale or for a client might be an issue unless you have an established presence in the Country you are selling to? I for instance as a United States based business would not hold .CA domains for sale AND if I found that a Canadian based company way holding .US domains I might protest that? The proper thing to do would perhaps be to make a business in the Country you are looking to sale internationally to. I am Michigan based (as an example) and often sale into Canada so years ago I went through the task of filing the proper papers to be able to do so. My company now rightfully owns several .CA domains in accordance with CIRA rules and regulations. I don't expect it to be any different with the United Kingdom.

I usually reference About ccTLDs (Country-Code Domain Names) for that kind of information. I hope that helps?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Super User II Super User II
Super User II

Hey @LooseinkNinja,

First off I can tell you from experience that international domains going from Country to Country can be tricky. Often times there are rules with who can own a international domain and what its use can be. I'm sure you are aware that .CA are limited to: Individuals and entities that meet the registration requirements include Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada, aboriginal people indigenous to Canada, or legal representatives of Canadian citizens or permanent residents. Non-individual registrants include all other legal registrant types, such as corporations. Applicants must meet the Canadian Presence Requirements. As an example see About .ca Domains

Additionally while you may be able to initially register or transfer a domain they are periodically audited to ensure the proper use and registration. GoDaddy has developed a robust list of TLD requirements, you can check out About .uk domains and see the ownership and registration requirements. I have seen domains kind of "jailed" so to speak and seemingly disappear from control but if you have the domain for a valid reason and meet the requirements to own it then there should be no issue getting it out?

Holding international TLDs for later sale or for a client might be an issue unless you have an established presence in the Country you are selling to? I for instance as a United States based business would not hold .CA domains for sale AND if I found that a Canadian based company way holding .US domains I might protest that? The proper thing to do would perhaps be to make a business in the Country you are looking to sale internationally to. I am Michigan based (as an example) and often sale into Canada so years ago I went through the task of filing the proper papers to be able to do so. My company now rightfully owns several .CA domains in accordance with CIRA rules and regulations. I don't expect it to be any different with the United Kingdom.

I usually reference About ccTLDs (Country-Code Domain Names) for that kind of information. I hope that helps?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

View solution in original post

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I know the .CA requirements and as a Canadian I like that they exist. I am trying to establish a presence in other countries so am trying to pick up a few international TLDs for this. You did a great job of explaining this to me and I will refer to the link you provided. Thanks again!