cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

The domain DOES NOT work without www?

I recently purchased a new domain at godaddy for my podcast site. It's hosted at podbean. The domain works but you have to include the "www". If you don't, the site doesn't load and it takes you to a godaddy error page. Does anyone know how I can fix this??

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The domain DOES NOT work without www?

Hi @rockerdad,

sometimes it's how you have entered the forwarding address. Please check your dns settings. 

😊

Can someone walk me through this? Last time I was here at godaddy with an old domain, everything looks different and moved around. I need to set the forwarding? I was told by the host to set the cname, which I did. Will the forwarding help with the issue?

just tried to add forwarding and it tells me only a single forward per subdomain??

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @rockerdad,

my apologies for limited time to explain but I'm in the middle of moving home, but I can assure you that if you get in touch with support, that they will guide you through your issues if at all possible (it will be, I just don't like making promises without knowing all the details which support will have access to).

best wishes and hope you get sorted soon. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @rockerdad,

if you haven't already, return the name servers to default godaddy. Then in the forwarding section enter the URL or even the IP of your hosting. 

I am am of course assuming that the domain name is registered with godaddy and that your hosting is elsewhere. 

I appreciate the help.

I never changed the nameservers. They show as default right now. Only thing I was instructed to change is the CNAME.

I can't input anything into forwarding as it shows the error I listed above.

Hey @rockerdad,

By chance are you using Blogger? You mentioned a CNAME update which I understand their one of the most common services that requires this type of setup for the domain name to point to them. If that's the case, check out this other discussion already open here. If it's not blogger, there may still be some suggestions in this discussion that can help you out. 

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support
New

Some dns setting can solve this problem. I purchased my domain www.earningbaba.com from Godaddy and I faced same problem but I resolve it myself. visit my domain it is working fine. see this it will help you 100%  Read it help mehttp://www.earningbaba.com/2017/03/solved-without-www-naked-domain-blogger.html

New

The domain DOES NOT work without www?

I have domain name e.g.  test.com. Now when I put www.test.com in browser , it works fine. but when I write only test.com, it does not work. In my dns setting , I have put CNAME called www and this www is connected to s3 bucket. The main problem is when I tried to add Type A with value @ , it only lets me add ip address with it. So how can I put my s3 bucket name there?

Employee
Employee

Hello @vivek2!

Thank you for posting. I've moved your post to a board that is more suitable to it's subject. 

I used my favorite search engine to research 'DNS settings for s3 bucket' and I found that after you've pointed your www CNAME to the address they've given you, you're to forward your domain to itself. So use these instructions and forward your domain to itself with the www. added. 

Heather - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support
estieg
Former Employee

Hey folks,

Thank you for your question.  Wanted to check in with you and see if there's any update on your problem?  I'm happy to include a few folks to help out - in particular during an AMA next week where we'll spend more time researching the issue.  Please let me know if anything has changed or how we can help trouble-shoot the issue.

Make it a great day,

Eric

If I answered your question, please mark it as the solution or give it a "Kudo"

@rockerdad

how did you connect your new domain name to your hosting platform, podbean. from reading other replies you did not update the DNS / Nameservers. There are several ways to connect GoDaddy domain to 3rd party provider. By chance, did you update cname record?

If you followed these instructions: http://help.podbean.com/support/solutions/articles/25000005126-podbean-how-to-set-the-cname-dns-reco...

if this is correct, then you will need to forward your domain to www.yourdomainname.com 

here is link on how to setup domain forwarding with the GoDaddy interface. 

https://www.godaddy.com/help/manually-forward-or-mask-your-domain-or-subdomain-422

just make sure when you enter the URL it is [ www.yourdomainname.com] 

i hope this helps. If I answered your question, please mark it as the solution or give it a "Kudo"

boxcar-digital

Employee
Employee
Solution

Hello!

When a domain is registered at GoDaddy, in our DNS the "www" is by default created as a CNAME, with the value "@" which is shorthand for the domain itself. The "www" CNAME will always by default forward to the domain name, that way people visiting your domain can get to your site either by typing out "yourdomain.com" or by typing out "www.yourdomain.com".

Some third party companies require the CNAME to also be pointed to something specific on their servers. Blogger, Squarespace, and GSUITE sites are common examples of this. If the CNAME is not pointing to the data required by these third party sites, our default DNS will still forward the "www" to the domain, but upon reaching it the "www" won't know where exactly it's supposed to look, which will result in error pages.

Hope this helps!

Paul D. | Advanced Technical Support
24/7 Support at x.co/247support