Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
kashelyn
Skilled

Unable to change nameservers

Hello!

I am trying to change the nameserver of my domain but it gives me this error:

"The data provided cannot be used, please correct it and resubmit your request."

This is supposed to be pointing to a VPS hosted in GoDaddy as well.

38 REPLIES

Re: Unable to change nameservers

Can you give an example please of your namerservers that you are trying to use? 

Mike L. | Hosting Services Consultant
kashelyn
Skilled

given that my domain is mydomain.com.ph

I am using ns1.mydomain.com.ph and ns2.mydomain.com.ph

I am pointing these to an IP address in my VPS.

Have you registered the host names 

ns1 and ns2 and directed the ip address?

https://www.godaddy.com/help/add-my-own-host-names-as-nameservers-12320

ns1.mydomain.com.ph and ns2.mydomain.com.ph

kashelyn
Skilled

I have A records ns1 and ns2 pointing to the server's IP. Is that correct?

Also, one of the subdomains are working now. The others, not so. The error still pops up when I attempt the change.

Do I need to delete all the records in the domain manager and manage the DNS records in cPanel that comes with my VPS instead or should I leave everything else except the nameservers alone?

I was under the impression those were your intentions to manage the DNS in whm that should be the only reason for creating custom name servers otherwise you have the option to manage it on the go daddy side of things and use the domain control "default" nameservers

https://www.godaddy.com/help/setting-up-nameserver-dns-using-cpanelwebhost-manager-8467

If you can provide the domain I can review it for you

yes the ns1 and ns2 should  be pointing to the ip of the server.

kashelyn
Skilled

I have already things set up in WHM.

maranathatours.com.ph is the domain. 

There are DNS records in godaddy domain manager. Should I remove these or leave them alone?

Once you create the name servers in whm and get the domain pointed the other dns settings you see in the domain control area will be dormant.

Your domain still is pointing to the ns1 and ns2.domaincontrol.com

It should be pointing to the name servers you create by following this guide

https://www.godaddy.com/help/setting-up-nameserver-dns-using-cpanelwebhost-manager-8467

kashelyn
Skilled

That's what I have been trying to do. Hence the error, "The data provided cannot be used, please correct it and resubmit your request.". Is there a way to view the details behind this error message?

You might be making a mistake somewhere along the way. If you can describe more in depth the step you are on when returning that error I may be able to assist but there are many factors I cannot verify from here. 

Due to the complexity of your issue, you may want to contact the support staff and request a dns configuration.

Alternatively you can also default the nameservers to the domain control system and simply point the A record to the ip of the server which is the simple method to keep dns managed in godaddy instead of WHM.

kashelyn
Skilled

The first thing I did was to configure the nameservers in the VPS through WHM as stated by the tutorial in your site. After that, I am now trying to configure the domain to point to the VPS.

As of now, it is working but only partly. I set up another subdomain but it returns a "Name not resolved" error. It baffles me that one subdomain works but the rest do not. The second-level domain works as well.

I would want to have a chat support or email support assist me. However, most of the time it says "chat offline". Is there a schedule of the availability of chat support somewhere?

Rolex
Novice
Solution

I have found that this error is produced when trying to add two different nameservers with the same IP.

Example:

ns1.example.com - IP address: 74.125.202.100

ns2.example.com - IP address: 74.125.202.100

That will fail because the IPs are the same. Adding a different IP to one of the nameservers seems to work.

chinotto77
Novice

I've been banging my head against the wall for a good few hours trying to solve this problem, Rolex's solution worked perfectly!! 

pstorkey
Novice

Apologies if this is a duplicate post. My original seems to have disappeared.

I have a .it domain registered with GoDaddy. I don't want to use GoDaddy's DNS servers. I am now on my fourth attempt to change the nameservers. Every time, the status changes to "pending update" and just sits there. After six days or so, it eventually times out and gives an error.

Error: ID: 64802439 QDATE: 2017-04-24 23:12:04 LANGUAGE: en OBJECTID: mydomain.it COUNT: 8 CONTENT: pendingUpdate is expired

I have contacted support numerous times. The problem has supposedly been escalated once. I received an email from "advanced technical support" saying that the issue was fixed but it isn't.

Most recently, I called support instead of using the chat and asked them to make the nameserver change for me. I'm pretty certain they just use the same web interface as the rest of us, and the problem persists.

Both chat and phone calls have not helped. There is no email support. How do I go about really getting this escalated? I've had the domain for almost a month and it's been useless to me from the start. I need to get this resolved.

Employee
Employee
Solution

Hi @pstorkey

Thank you for your post.

.IT domains can be very tricky when it comes to updating the Namerservers. They have specific rules for what Nameservers are accepted and on top of that every time an update is submitted it will need to be approved by the .IT registry which in itself may take around 5-7 business days with no guarantee of approval.

To help research if the Nameserver are qualified to be used with your .IT domain we have created an informational help article that addresses the requirements for .IT domains. 

Nameserver rules for .IT domains

https://www.godaddy.com/help/nameserver-rules-for-it-domains-20229

The .IT registry also provides a helpful tool to check the Nameservers before you apply them to your domain. 

.IT registry Nameserver tool 

http://dns-check.nic.it/

Hope this helps!

-Techfly 

pstorkey
Novice

Hi @TechFly,

Thank you for your very helpful response. I have resolved an issue with the DNS provider and their nameservers now pass the tests at http://dns-check.nic.it/

My domain is currently still "pending update". Is there anything i can do to re-submit the change, or do i have to wait for it to time out again?

pstorkey
Novice

Never mind, it happened automatically. I now have the correct nameserver configured.

Thank you again for your help!

Employee
Employee

@pstorkey

Thanks for the update! Happy to hear the post helped resolve the issue and your Nameservers are set properly. 

Best Wishes!

-Techfly

Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for letting everyone know @chinotto77 that @Rolex's suggestion worked!! Take care!

Rachel

GoDaddy Sr. Community Manager
Contact GoDaddy Customer Care 24 hours a day, seven days a week at https://www.godaddy.com/contact-us.aspx
kain80
Novice

And another The data provided cannot be used, please correct it and resubmit your request.

I'm almost regretting registering with godaddy, I got many domains, never a problem to set DNS and I tried all kind of things but I just can't get it to work.

It's a .nl  the ns1,2 and 3 are zxcs.nl I added the IP and it keeps giving the error.

No spaces before or after, all correctly spelled. Using other domains somewhere else with the same DNS at no problem.

So I thought, godaddy is like registrars in my own country as they provide everything in my language but they are obviously not and I will move the name to my host. For that I needed to remove the whois guard to only find out I have to wait 2 months before I can move.

So now no guard, can't and dns is not working Smiley Mad

And seriously, why does a big name like godaddy don't have 24/7 chat support? Calling pretty much sucks and is so 90's.

Sorry that I come across rude but very aggravated at the moment.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: And another The data provided cannot be used, please correct it and resubmit your request.

Hi @kain80,

If you have registered your domains with Godaddy then you shouldn't have to touch the DNS normally.

Your DNS's have default settings that are automatically assigned when you register your domain. It's only usually when folk start meddling that they get problems or when they try 'unconventional' methods to 'transfer' a domain....... for example, one can't just change a 121 DNS to a godaddy DNS  and hope it will work. Some folk do try this by the way.........

Most languages are catered for, if you just go into your cPanel settings you will find a dropdown menu to change the language used.

Please name (some, no more than ten as you say you have many) some of your domains and I can run a quick check on them..

kain80
Novice

Re: And another The data provided cannot be used, please correct it and resubmit your request.

Dude, I am talking pointing the NS to my host.

A topic a lot of people have issues with. If you would have read the error message you would have understood what I meant.

How are you the nr1 contributor?

Anonymous
Not applicable

1) don't call me dude..

2) you didn't include an error in your post

3) don't expect help if you are going to be rude. 

lahavre
Novice

unable to change nameserver - lahavre.com

Hi,

I am currently using AWS Route53 as my DNS server. My domain is registered with GoDaddy.

I have created some custom nameserver for my domain name, and I have updated on AWS end.

I am trying to change the nameserver in GoDaddy console, but I received the following error.

The data provided cannot be used, please correct it and resubmit your request.

The nameserver I am trying to add would be

ns1.lahavre.com

ns2.lahavre.com

ns3.lahavre.com

ns4.lahavre.com

Can advice what does the error means, and how I can rectify this?

Thank you.

Regards,

Chew

JimORH
Novice

useing api to change the custom Nameserver

Hi all

I am trying to automate the the process of updating my domains.

At the minute I am trying to update my domains Servername.

I want to do this because I am using the API to change A records but if the domain has a custom Servername it fails.

I have tried to use the API to change the record but it fails with :

{"code":"UNKNOWN_DOMAIN","message":"The given domain is not registered, or does not have a zone file","name":"_Class"}

The script will work with domains using default Nameservers.

My Question is, is there away to change the Nameserver of a domain with the API when it uses a custom domain ?

Devis
Novice

Unable to change my domain's nameservers

Hello everyone!

I had a problem changing my DNS on my newly purchased domain. I tried to changing the default ones to the ones of my host and i get this message "The data provided cannot be used, please correct it and resubmit your request.". keep in mind i mind i already have these DNS on another domain on the same account and the HOST is multidomain.

Thanks in advancegodaddy.PNG

lpetersen
Novice

Cannot add namesever

I registered a domain cannot add the nameserver of my hoster.

I've done this several times. The nameserver is working and correct.

The error message on godaddy says "The data provided cannot be used, please correct it and resubmit your request."

Can anyone help?

lpetersen
Novice

Re: Cannot add namesever

Hey now it works. It took 1 hour. I don't know why it works now.

Maybe because it's sunday?

alrabat
Novice

I can not change nameserver or restore it to default for any of my domains in my account it always say "    

The data provided cannot be used, please correct it and resubmit your request. "
one of my domain is " nasaaemmc.com"
please help I am in Egypt and I cannot for every problem I have to make an international call to another country to get support 
Usagii
Novice

Domain Nameserver Issue

Hello, GoDaddy's Users.

Today i have encountered an issue with my nameservers, Which i don't know why. but it should work perfectly fine. as this is the same thing i did in various other domain hosting websites.

I have a domain called ''avian.rip''

which i tried to use the nameservers for 

ns1.bisecthosting.com

ns2.bisecthosting.com

But it doesn't seem to accept that information?.

any idea why it doenst work?

MichelR
Novice

Re: Domain Nameserver Issue

I'm having a similar problem (getting the error "The data provided cannot be used, please correct it and resubmit your request" - are you getting that too?) and I noticed that at least one other user is having problems today. I'm wondering if this is a wider problem affecting everyone. In my case the nameservers are:

NS1.SITE4NOW.NET

NS2.SITE4NOW.NET

NS3.SITE4NOW.NET

Using the IP addresses instead of the names doesn't help either.

tjvoip45
Novice

Hey All,

I get the same error, "The data provided cannot be used, please correct it and resubmit your request."

It's weird because I have a few domains on my GoDaddy account that I have pointed name servers to my web hosting provider no problem.

All of the sudden I get the error stated above. I have tried putting in the IP's of my name servers as well with no luck.

Any help would be great!

Domain With This Issue: tntaffiliatesgroup.com

Thanks,

TJ

pfung
Novice

this is happening to me too and ive tried two different hosting accounts too

seems to be a system error as ive done this many times over the years...

pfung
Novice

Re: Domain Nameserver Issue

This is happening to me too!!! spent 40mins already and tried two different webhosting accounts!!!!!!!!!

pfung
Novice

ive spent 40mins already and i keep having the same issue.

What did you do to resolve, you just tried again after an hour?

thx

AllenRbrts
Novice

Interesting that there is no documentation on the Godaddy website to solve this issue.

The error message is because there is no server with the name being used when you enter your nameserver. For example godaddy.com, you need a host name of ns1.godaddy.com, and ns2.godaddy.com to put in the namesever, but you first need to put the name in the "host names". When you do that, you need to realize that godaddy is automatically putting the domain name in for you. So you just need to the add the host name ns1 and ns2 (DO NOT put the domain name as well, or you will have ns1.godaddy.com.godaddy.com) which point to your server's ip address. If there is no ns1 and ns2 as "host names", you will get the error "The data provided cannot be used, please correct it and resubmit your request." when you try to put in your custom nameservers.