cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Unable to change nameservers

Hello!

I am trying to change the nameserver of my domain but it gives me this error:

"The data provided cannot be used, please correct it and resubmit your request."

This is supposed to be pointing to a VPS hosted in GoDaddy as well.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
New

I have found that this error is produced when trying to add two different nameservers with the same IP.

Example:

ns1.example.com - IP address: 74.125.202.100

ns2.example.com - IP address: 74.125.202.100

That will fail because the IPs are the same. Adding a different IP to one of the nameservers seems to work.

View solution in original post

Hi @pstorkey

Thank you for your post.

.IT domains can be very tricky when it comes to updating the Namerservers. They have specific rules for what Nameservers are accepted and on top of that every time an update is submitted it will need to be approved by the .IT registry which in itself may take around 5-7 business days with no guarantee of approval.

To help research if the Nameserver are qualified to be used with your .IT domain we have created an informational help article that addresses the requirements for .IT domains. 

Nameserver rules for .IT domains

https://www.godaddy.com/help/nameserver-rules-for-it-domains-20229

The .IT registry also provides a helpful tool to check the Nameservers before you apply them to your domain. 

.IT registry Nameserver tool 

http://dns-check.nic.it/

Hope this helps!

-Techfly 

38 REPLIES 38

Can you give an example please of your namerservers that you are trying to use? 

Mike L. | WebPro

given that my domain is mydomain.com.ph

I am using ns1.mydomain.com.ph and ns2.mydomain.com.ph

I am pointing these to an IP address in my VPS.

Have you registered the host names 

ns1 and ns2 and directed the ip address?

https://www.godaddy.com/help/add-my-own-host-names-as-nameservers-12320

ns1.mydomain.com.ph and ns2.mydomain.com.ph

Mike L. | WebPro

I have A records ns1 and ns2 pointing to the server's IP. Is that correct?

Also, one of the subdomains are working now. The others, not so. The error still pops up when I attempt the change.

Do I need to delete all the records in the domain manager and manage the DNS records in cPanel that comes with my VPS instead or should I leave everything else except the nameservers alone?

I was under the impression those were your intentions to manage the DNS in whm that should be the only reason for creating custom name servers otherwise you have the option to manage it on the go daddy side of things and use the domain control "default" nameservers
Mike L. | WebPro

https://www.godaddy.com/help/setting-up-nameserver-dns-using-cpanelwebhost-manager-8467

If you can provide the domain I can review it for you
Mike L. | WebPro

I have already things set up in WHM.

maranathatours.com.ph is the domain. 

There are DNS records in godaddy domain manager. Should I remove these or leave them alone?

Once you create the name servers in whm and get the domain pointed the other dns settings you see in the domain control area will be dormant.
Mike L. | WebPro

Your domain still is pointing to the ns1 and ns2.domaincontrol.com

It should be pointing to the name servers you create by following this guide

https://www.godaddy.com/help/setting-up-nameserver-dns-using-cpanelwebhost-manager-8467
Mike L. | WebPro

That's what I have been trying to do. Hence the error, "The data provided cannot be used, please correct it and resubmit your request.". Is there a way to view the details behind this error message?

You might be making a mistake somewhere along the way. If you can describe more in depth the step you are on when returning that error I may be able to assist but there are many factors I cannot verify from here. 

Due to the complexity of your issue, you may want to contact the support staff and request a dns configuration.

Alternatively you can also default the nameservers to the domain control system and simply point the A record to the ip of the server which is the simple method to keep dns managed in godaddy instead of WHM.

Mike L. | WebPro

The first thing I did was to configure the nameservers in the VPS through WHM as stated by the tutorial in your site. After that, I am now trying to configure the domain to point to the VPS.

As of now, it is working but only partly. I set up another subdomain but it returns a "Name not resolved" error. It baffles me that one subdomain works but the rest do not. The second-level domain works as well.

I would want to have a chat support or email support assist me. However, most of the time it says "chat offline". Is there a schedule of the availability of chat support somewhere?

yes the ns1 and ns2 should  be pointing to the ip of the server.

Mike L. | WebPro
New

I have found that this error is produced when trying to add two different nameservers with the same IP.

Example:

ns1.example.com - IP address: 74.125.202.100

ns2.example.com - IP address: 74.125.202.100

That will fail because the IPs are the same. Adding a different IP to one of the nameservers seems to work.

I've been banging my head against the wall for a good few hours trying to solve this problem, Rolex's solution worked perfectly!! 

Thanks for letting everyone know @chinotto77 that @Rolex's suggestion worked!! Take care!

Rachel

RachelM - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

I'm almost regretting registering with godaddy, I got many domains, never a problem to set DNS and I tried all kind of things but I just can't get it to work.

It's a .nl  the ns1,2 and 3 are zxcs.nl I added the IP and it keeps giving the error.

No spaces before or after, all correctly spelled. Using other domains somewhere else with the same DNS at no problem.

So I thought, godaddy is like registrars in my own country as they provide everything in my language but they are obviously not and I will move the name to my host. For that I needed to remove the whois guard to only find out I have to wait 2 months before I can move.

So now no guard, can't and dns is not working Smiley Mad

And seriously, why does a big name like godaddy don't have 24/7 chat support? Calling pretty much sucks and is so 90's.

Sorry that I come across rude but very aggravated at the moment.

Retired
Not applicable

Hi @kain80,

If you have registered your domains with Godaddy then you shouldn't have to touch the DNS normally.

Your DNS's have default settings that are automatically assigned when you register your domain. It's only usually when folk start meddling that they get problems or when they try 'unconventional' methods to 'transfer' a domain....... for example, one can't just change a 121 DNS to a godaddy DNS  and hope it will work. Some folk do try this by the way.........

Most languages are catered for, if you just go into your cPanel settings you will find a dropdown menu to change the language used.

Please name (some, no more than ten as you say you have many) some of your domains and I can run a quick check on them..

Dude, I am talking pointing the NS to my host.

A topic a lot of people have issues with. If you would have read the error message you would have understood what I meant.

How are you the nr1 contributor?

Retired
Not applicable

1) don't call me dude..

2) you didn't include an error in your post

3) don't expect help if you are going to be rude.