Skip to main content
Help Center
The GoDaddy Community will undergo maintenance starting on Tuesday, August 3rd at 3pm PST / 6pm EST. Learn more
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AdminBF
Getting Started

subdomain with "www" not working

Hi,

I'm just curious why a subdomain, when added with a "www", is not working? That is, for example, I have a subdomain, sub.domain.com and when I tried accessing it using this url www.sub.domain.com the website won't load.

Is there any way or fix for this issue? To note though, www.domain.com is working properly though.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Muse
Super User II

@AdminBF  When you have a subdomain that replaces the www. So as a general rule it is an either or scenario... 

That's not to say you cannot use the www if you really want to (I don't know why you would though) -- but that would be uncommon and not necessary.   You would have to configure your vhost.conf file and DNS to specifically allow this if you want to proceed.

HTH! 😉

Judith
"Success is the sum of details." ~ Harvey S. Firestone

AdminBF
Getting Started

@Muse Thanks for responding.

Well, for the most part, we're interested in doing this because when we consulted a marketing analyst, they noted that part. I was well aware though when I set up the subdomain I'm replacing the "www". Point taken. 🙂 

It's not always the case, but there might be some time that website visitors will type "www" (out of habit) before the subdomain url so was trying to look at some work around for this one. 

Anyway, could you possibly give me some more details on how to configure the vhost.conf file and DNS of the domain? Might want to give it a shot. 🙂

Thanks.

@AdminBF   You would need to contact GoDaddy directly on that to see if they offer that option with your hosting package.

Judith
"Success is the sum of details." ~ Harvey S. Firestone