cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Emails auto-delete after a few minutes

Hi, all my emails auto-delete from my hotmail inbox that godaddy provided me. Once someone from my company reads an email, it deletes. If no one reads it, it deletes within 30mins at random. I can recover them from the autodeleted folder but its very annoying missing emails from customers all the time. I'm not sure if this is because I need to upgrade my plan with Godaddy? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Super User II

@kingquad 

Hmmm.... GoDaddy isn't Hotmail.  Nor are there any GoDaddy settings to auto-delete emails after a certain amount of time.

Something doesn't make sense with just the info provided, so a couple things come to mind:

=> Outlook has an auto-delete feature once an email is read then deleted:

....When in Outlook, go to Files > Options.

....Then look for the Advanced features and click on Advanced.

....Uncheck the box "Empty Deleted Items Folders when exiting Outlook".

=> Make sure you don't have any rules or filters setup that could be causing this behavior.

=> Are you using POP settings? The fact you mention when someone in your company reads an email it deletes (rule or filter) and that this happens every 30 minutes sounds like someone has access to the account and that emails are being checked/downloaded every 30 minutes.  Once downloaded they are on the device they downloaded to.  

In this case you'll want to set that POP account to "leave mail on server".  You then want to make sure that one of the devices accessing that account has "leave mail on server" OFF.  This is the only way to clear the email box and make sure you don't go over quota.

=> Another option is to switch to IMAP which will sync all devices accessing that particular email account.

HTH! 😉

Judith
"You have to be odd to be number one." Dr. Seuss

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Super User II

@kingquad 

Hmmm.... GoDaddy isn't Hotmail.  Nor are there any GoDaddy settings to auto-delete emails after a certain amount of time.

Something doesn't make sense with just the info provided, so a couple things come to mind:

=> Outlook has an auto-delete feature once an email is read then deleted:

....When in Outlook, go to Files > Options.

....Then look for the Advanced features and click on Advanced.

....Uncheck the box "Empty Deleted Items Folders when exiting Outlook".

=> Make sure you don't have any rules or filters setup that could be causing this behavior.

=> Are you using POP settings? The fact you mention when someone in your company reads an email it deletes (rule or filter) and that this happens every 30 minutes sounds like someone has access to the account and that emails are being checked/downloaded every 30 minutes.  Once downloaded they are on the device they downloaded to.  

In this case you'll want to set that POP account to "leave mail on server".  You then want to make sure that one of the devices accessing that account has "leave mail on server" OFF.  This is the only way to clear the email box and make sure you don't go over quota.

=> Another option is to switch to IMAP which will sync all devices accessing that particular email account.

HTH! 😉

Judith
"You have to be odd to be number one." Dr. Seuss

View solution in original post