Download your site files
Step 1 of the Migrate my WordPress site manually series.
To manually migrate your WordPress site to a Managed WordPress or Pro Managed WordPress account, download the
wp-content folder, which contains all images, and other media for the site you want to move. How you do this depends on your current host. For example, if you have a GoDaddy Linux Hosting account, you can use the cPanel File Manager, or an FTP client like Filezilla. This procedure assumes that you (like many WordPress users) are using cPanel.
- In cPanel for your WordPress site, open the File Manager.
- In the directory tree on the left, select public_html.
- In the file list on the right, select wp-content (If your site is installed in a different folder you can find that info in your site's details in cPanel's Installatron).
- From the toolbar above the directory tree and file list, select Compress.
- Under Compression Type, select Zip Archive, and then select Compress Files.
- After the file manager creates
wp-content.zip, close the compression results box. You should see the new zip file in the list. If not, select Reload to refresh.
wp-content.zipand then select Download. The zip file is copied to the default download location on your computer.
- On your computer, find that file and unzip it. (For MacOS or for Windows)