Edit an A record
Edit an A record in your GoDaddy zone file if you need to update where your domain is pointing. Changes to an existing A record may cause your website or email service to be temporarily interrupted. If you're trying to change your www record, you'll need to edit your CNAME record instead.
- Sign in to your GoDaddy Domain Portfolio. (Need help logging in? Find your username or password.)
- Select Domain Edit Options next to your domain and then select Edit DNS. You may need to scroll down to see the Edit DNS option.
- Select Edit next to the A record record you're editing.
Note: Can't edit the record? Check these settings or products:
• Do you own Search Engine Visibility? Our GoDaddy Guides to help edit the record.
• Is forwarding enabled on the domain? Delete forwarding to enable editing the record.
• Is the domain connected to a 3rd-party site (e.g., Squarespace or LinkedIn)? Visit that site to disconnect it, or remove the connection to enable editing the record.
• Is a firewall turned on in Website Security? Edit your IP address to the correct IP for your hosting account.
- Edit the details for your A record:
- Name: The host name for the A record. Type @ to put the A record on your root domain, or enter a subdomain prefix such as www.
- Value: The IP address for your A record. Typically this will be the IP address of your hosting account.
- TTL: How long the server should cache information. The default setting is 1 hour.
- Select Save to complete your changes.
Most DNS updates take effect within an hour, but could take up to 48 hours to update globally.
- Add a new A record or delete one you're no longer using.
- Create a new Websites + Marketing website and get connected with professional email.
- Create a template to quickly apply DNS records to your domains.
- Keep your domains organized with folders and preset profiles.