• Buying & Selling Domains

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    DAC00
    New

domain purchased via auction, when available?

I purchased an expired domain from GoDaddy yesterday. Asked support how long until domain would appear in my product list (so I could purchase hosting and other services). I was quoted 24H which is fine, and in line with other registrars. Today when it still hadn’t appeared support said it would take “five to seven days” as “security checks” had to be conducted. This wasn’t mentioned at all yesterday.

I paid by PayPail, £6.19 for “Auctions Expired Domain” product, and £18.99 for domain name renewal. GoDaddy has received funds but not delivered the product.

Now I’m being asked to contact some other group — auctions@godaddy.com — for what purpose I don’t know.

How long does it take GoDaddy to process? Long time domain holder (Network Solutions & Gandi), first time GoDaddy customer. I’m wondering what GoDaddy hosting is like, given a simple purchase inexplicably seems challenging.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @DAC00,

Welcome to the Community!

Glad to hear you were able to be refunded for the domain (as they're generally nonrefundable). While we can't see into your account to review what you purchased, or in what type of auction you purchased it in, here are the published facts on a few things for future reference and readers here. 

The timeline of an expired domain and how it is released.

The time it takes after winning an expired auction, and the time after an active domain auction 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
    Supporting you at x.co/247support
    3 REPLIES 3
    DAC00
    New

Got to the bottom of this, after three calls to Support. The last rep I spoke with was very helpful, Other reps were not very helpful at all, and one was condescending / arrogant.

When you buy from GoDaddy’s auction service apparently they enter into a public, seven day auction.  No document (e.g., receipt which forms the basis of our contract,  Web Page selling me the domain) from GoDaddy mentioned a public auction over a seven day period.  This was only revealed today when I called and spoke with the reps. Support over the two days never mentioned an open auction over seven days.  I wanted to purchase a domain, not enter into a public auction.  

Selling a domain, being fully paid and then using this as the basis for a public auction  without my agreement or foreknowledge is a highly deceptive business practice. Very poor first time experience with GoDaddy.  I have been buying domains since 1997 — initially Network Solutions and now Gandi.  Ownership of domains purchased under similar circumstance are immediately transferred.  

We have immediately — and through a different registrar -- purchased the same name in a different TLD. Web page, blog, Facebook and twitter will be changed to reflect the new domain.  

This domain is useless to anyone outside my family.  This was a missed opp by GoDaddy to monetise a dormant asset. GoDaddy can now keep this domain.   

Finally only the third rep offered a refund.  The other two antagonistically told me PayPal would NOT refund based on my statements alone,  effectively challenging me to try.   When I contacted PayPal to contest GoDaddy’s charge, they gave me a different contact number, asking me to try this team before progressing.  By contrast to the other two, this rep was excellent and very helpful.  

Hi @DAC00,

Welcome to the Community!

Glad to hear you were able to be refunded for the domain (as they're generally nonrefundable). While we can't see into your account to review what you purchased, or in what type of auction you purchased it in, here are the published facts on a few things for future reference and readers here. 

The timeline of an expired domain and how it is released.

The time it takes after winning an expired auction, and the time after an active domain auction 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
    Supporting you at x.co/247support

Hi TLH

In terms of refunding UK law is pretty clear.  Here consumers have the right of refund for 14 days after purchase and we don’t have to specify a reason.  

I suspect when I mentioned this to the third support rep (Scottish, not sure where he was based) he realised PayPal would, of course, refund me.  

Thanks for posting these details.  If the first or even second support rep had mentioned this I likely would have waited.  But finding out after two days and dealing with no less than five reps (two via chat and three by phone) left a bad taste in my mouth. 

So now GoDaddy has an 18 letter .org domain that has value only to our family. They can keep it. We’ve migrated to another TLD.

Thanks again.