cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

DNS Only - Do I Require Separate Hosting Package

Hello everyone. I have been with one.com for so long, but I found their renewal prices rather expensive, so thought I would transfer to godaddy.com. I purchased a domain transfer for 1-minute-reads.com for nine years, but I stupidly opted out of the 60 day lock, so now I'm in a bit of a pickle. One.com assured me that the domain is still live until May 2021, but it's actually offline since last night. One.com assured me that my website would not be lost.

I've filled in a form to one.com to change the name servers, to the ones that godaddy.com specifies, but I've given them my IP address, instead of Godaddy. Not sure if I've made an error.

Also, I'm not sure if I need to buy a separate website hosting plan with Wordpress.org through Godaddy.com as this is what I host my domains through. However, I never used the 1 click wordpress through one.com as it used to be free before they started charging for it, I always used Firezilla to transfer the files.

I guess the downside to godaddy.com is its inability that customers can email its customer service staff, as I have anxiety and prefer to email than to phone people.

I hope that someone can help me. I just want to get the website live again, but I can't get an Auth-ID for 1-minute-reads.com until 25 May 2020, but then if the site is not live through godaddy.com, I don't know what else to do.

Thanks in advance. Regards Helen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@hellsbells39 

Ok so where it asks for the IP you can use https://toolbox.googleapps.com/apps/dig/ to find out the IP address you need for the name servers.

In regards to the IP for the A record - that is going to be the IP of your hosting account.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Super User IV

@hellsbells39 

Ok - So Registration, DNS and Hosting are 3 separate things - In your example of transferring the domain to GoDaddy (Registration), you may have changed the name servers in the process and now they are pointed to GoDaddy so you need to setup the DNS Zone at GoDaddy to point to your hosting.

Currently your domain 1-minute-reads.com is pointed to one.com and from what I see it says your web hosting has expired. 

You would need to either renew your hosting with them which would make your site live again or purchase hosting with GoDaddy and transfer the files to GoDaddy, then update the name servers to either use GoDaddy's DNS or leave them with one.com for now and point the IP address to the GoDaddy servers.

Hopefully that explains it.

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Hi PL281

Thanks so much for your prompt response. As the website isn't live, is this because I have no current hosting package? So when you mention that I need to set up the DNS zone to point to my hosting, if I just purchased a wordpress hosting package once the name change servers have changed to godaddy.com, would this be viable, or would I have to wait until I get the Auth-ID from one.com to transfer the domain fully. I'm just worried that this is going to damage my current rating with Google, as it's a bloody strict AI.

Also when you mention transfer files, do you mean the xsl wordpress file? I did an export on the 10th May 2020 just incase the site went offline, but I may have lost the work I was doing on it yesterday.

Sorry if I sound stupid, pretty new to all this. Also, when I filled in the change of name servers, I added the godaddy name changers, but my own IP address. Is this correct?

Kind regards Helen

@hellsbells39 

1) It looks like you do not have a hosting package - that is correct - it looks like your current package with one.com has expired

2) Yes you can purchase a Managed WordPress hosting and then in one.com you should be able to update the IP address so your domain would be live.

3) The XML export should get you most of your content, however it may (most likely) does not include images - nor will this include your theme / plugins 

4) I'm not sure what you mean when you say you entered GoDaddy's servers but your own IP address - with DNS you would never enter your home / office IP unless you wanted something pointed there

When the name server change form asked for an IP address, I didn't know what to add, so I just put in my home IP address. I would not know where to even find out what the IP address is to add to in the A Type "points to" which is currently as parked.

@hellsbells39 

Ok so where it asks for the IP you can use https://toolbox.googleapps.com/apps/dig/ to find out the IP address you need for the name servers.

In regards to the IP for the A record - that is going to be the IP of your hosting account.

View solution in original post

Thank you, that link was very helpful. Kind regards Helen