cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    New

Managed Wordpress site slow and difficulties updating

Hi,

I've recently been having a great deal of trouble with my site http://cgna2017.ca.  The backend can be very slow; updates (core and plugins) constantly fail/time-out and front-end page loading can sometimes take up to 13 seconds (but also sometimes much faster).  

I've had to restore the site from backups on numerous occasions because failed updates caused irreversible problems.  

I've run many Wordpress sites elsewhere and never encountered these problems.  Tech support tells me it's a plugin issue but the problem continues without any plugins installed.  Also, I'm not using any plugins that I haven't used elsewhere.  

This is only a recent problem; at first the site worked without issue but I can't identify any major changes I've made that would account for these problems.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  It's a live site and these performance issues are coming at the absolute worse time.  

Thanks in advance for any help,

Anthony

44 REPLIES 44
    Helper VI
    Helper VI

Re: Managed Wordpress site slow and difficulties updating

Hello @cgnaca

I have for you a few suggestions:

- install and use this cache plugin

- in the "Share This" module, try to limit the share option to 4-6 apps (especially remove Pinterest)

- if you don't have an image optimizer plugin, I suggest you use this https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-smu**bleep**/

EDIT- As you can see, the forum transforms wp-smus...hit (without ... ) in to wp-smu**bleep**

- I hope you understand how you have to type that link

Also, you can test your site to see what further improvements you can do, by using this tool.

Good luck.

Smiley Happy

***Signature: -> Do not assume anything! If you want help, explain your problem. If my post helped you, give it a Kudo. If you have the solution, mark the topic as Solved.
    New

Thanks Adrian.  I've tried the fix with "Share This" but doesn't seem to have much effect.  

The rest I've already tried.  I already use the optimization plugin you're suggesting and the Managed Wordpress platform won't let me install a caching plugin because apparently GoDaddy takes care of that itself. 

I've been through Pingdom Tools, GMetrix speed tests, Google Page Speed Insights, etc. and tried to fix as much as I could.  I get similar warnings from other sites not hosted on GoDaddy but don't have speed problems like I do here.  

Grateful for any other ideas you may have.

Anthony

Helper VI
    Helper VI

Lately I've seen a lot of errors regarding the Managed WordPress platform from GoDaddy.

I'm not using that hosting plan, and I don't know exactly what access you have to the hosting configuration, but if you have access to select the PHP version of your server then try to enable memcached , maybe that will help you.

Smiley Happy

***Signature: -> Do not assume anything! If you want help, explain your problem. If my post helped you, give it a Kudo. If you have the solution, mark the topic as Solved.

I've been having the same problems for months.  I'm about to move on from GoDaddy.  It takes forever to load my Dashboard during the daytime hours, so it's nearly impossible to get any work done.  My time is too valuable for me to put up with it for much longer.

My wesbite is very slow

my website is based on a world press hosting with godaddy i purchased a template in and i fixed it after but the website is very slow the template support said  

"As i checked your hosting is not letting you to install another cache plugin and it seams their builtin cache plugin is not working properly!

Also i did’t find any way to access the files in your hosting!
    you need to add the codes was pointed in the image into .htaccess file.

Please contact your hosting provider and ask them to check it."

so how can i fix this . 

I am facing exactly same issue as Anthony and others. I have managed wordpress hosting and cPanel hosting with GoDaddy. Never had this slowness or any other issue with cPanel hosting, however managed hosting has been a mess. I bought managed hosting with the hope that my hassles will be reduced, however exactly reverse is the case. I disabled all the plugins, tried opening page in private window, optimized db and images but nothing solved the core problem of slowness of wp dashboard.

I think it's time to move away from GoDaddy and look for other better alternatives. I can't spend hours to just look my dashboard taking forever too load or post updates getting lost with 408 request timed out error. 

Re: My wesbite is very slow

Any help Guys ??

Extremely slow hosting.

My previous topic post was moved into another thread for some reason which didn't even answer my question. So i'll post it again as i'm still looking for this "award winning" support.

Looking to leave Godaddy as the performance is beyond slow, i'm unable to use sftp as it disconnects every 15 seconds with a timeout when uploading or downloading, my other sites hosted elsewhere work fine, I've put this down to database distance from Australia and perhaps overloading of shared sites. I would like a server with a database closer to home. I'd like to retrieve a full backup of my site somehow.

Where can i download a full backup of my wordpress hosting and databases without using sftp as it's painstakingly unusable to me?

Nice example of award winning support right here, this guy has the same issues as me.

I can't even access my site via sftp without it disconnecting every 15 seconds.

I literally want a way of downloading my files so i can gtfo of godaddy find a host that doesn't try and capture an Australian audience when their datacentre is based in the US.

New

Same here - my site is slow as hell.

Everytime I chat to an agent for a resolution, all they try and do is sell me something.

I'm tied in for 5 years. Great

www.lowerhousecc.com

Re: Extremely slow hosting.

Having the same problem and I've only been with GoDaddy for about 2 weeks!  The dashboard and general editing loading times are so slow, and my site's only tiny and in it's very early stages, that it's already become virtually unusable.

Very disappointed with GoDaddy, and I really don't want to start fixing something that I'm paying good money for to be usable and as advertised - so I think I'm going to leave ASAP - it's just not worth the bother or lost time to me to remain with what's turned out to be a nicely advertise and publicized service with GoDaddy that has not substance or truth in reality.

Perhaps I'll return to the hapless BT - at least their servers were usably responsive....

GoDaddy - GoElsewhere more-like.

Very disappointed and quite disgusted with the pathetic loading times.

This has been happening to me for about 2 weeks now.  It's impossible to get anything done.

We make all changes in Staging and them move to production.  It's just to unreliable any other way.

After attempting to update a plugin - it give you the maintenance page which means it's going to fail and it does .  when it comes back the plugin still needs updating.  we used to be able to do many at once, no longer is that a trusted case.  Now we have to do them one at a time and IF it finally works, move it from staging to production which also takes forever lately.  After that go back in and hope another plugin updated (one at a time again) if it fails either restore from prod or try again

Same issue here. I tried everything: minify js, css, cache... compress... everything.

But the problem is obviously with the server.

My website: www.alaskamarketing.com.br

I am having the same issue.. I have try to update the same thing almost 10-15 times to make it work....that's how to slow the managed hosting service is.

Also they are providing the Europe Data Canter for Managed Hosting Service In INDIA..which is not recommended and when we call the customer service even they are unable to support us. 

Been with GoDaddy for less than a week.  Page Builder won't load, just spins.  I tried to make a change in the dashboard and that won't take.  I spent 3 days rebuilding my site, moved from Weebly, and I am worried I am going to have problems for the next 3 years.  I was told I have a 30 day refund policy.  I might have to take that serious. 

Hi,

I'm experiencing the same issues, and I'm wondering if you ended up switching off GoDaddy?

I'm so frustrated.  

Because I'm not technical, I am looking for a resource/person who is familiar with WP that can help me get out of GoDaddy, and into a better hosting environment.

Any names or suggestions would be so appreciated!

Thanks. Leslie

Hi,

I'm experiencing the same issues, and I'm wondering if you ended up switching off GoDaddy?

I'm so frustrated.  

Because I'm not technical, I am looking for a resource/person who is familiar with WP that can help me get out of GoDaddy, and into a better hosting environment.

Any names or suggestions would be so appreciated!

Thanks. Leslie

Hi Anthony,

Did you end up switching off of Godaddy?

I'm desperate for a solution, same problem.  Where did you end up taking your business?

thank you. leslie

Hi,

I'm experiencing the same problem, just wondering, did you switch hosts? Where did you go?  

Thanks, I'm desperate to switch!

leslie

I am having the same issue. We run an e-commerce store and the orders page will time out 50% of the time so it is taking us longer to process orders and add tracking info. I don't want to have the hassle of setting up another SSL with another company or be down for a few days.  Disappointed with the service, it was great up until 2-3 weeks ago. 

Im having the same issue, i was hoping the slow speed was due to having my site as a staging site but ive found after publishing its no faster.

Anytime i speak to Godaddy they just go on about plugins and come out with the same thing, even when i tell them ive already gone through this.

Has anyone had anything helpful from any agents?  I too am locked in for 3 years.

Helper I

I just posted a new thread because I didn't realize this one was about the same thing. It makes me feel better (sorry though) that people with small sites are having the same issue because I keep getting told that my site is "enormous." 

My site itself works, but I cannot do anything in the dashboard without the connection resetting. I cannot add content. I cannot edit existing content. I can barely click around in the dashboard. 

* Last week, hacking / malware blamed. $150 later learned there was no hack. 
    * Plug-in blamed. Still have issues with ALL plugins off. 
    * Theme blamed. Changed them. Still problems.
    * ISP connection blamed. Trace test shows NO problems. 
    * Huge database tables from an old plugin blamed. Deleted those. Still problems. 

I'm beyond frustrated too. I won't have time to call again for tech support until Weds (7/26/17), but I'll be watching here to see if anyone finds a solution. 

All of this is happening on my biggest site, but I hope to try my much smaller sites later and see if it's an issue there too. 

I'm having the same issue on one of my 9 managed wordpress sites.  The others are fine, except for this one - and it barely has anything on it and runs the same template that another (fast) site runs... so it is nothing that I'm doing.  SO FRUSTRATING!!!

New

FIXED
    The solution I have found:
    On the computer/s that you access the WordPress admin or page editing etc, add the IP Address's for the DNS that has your Domain Name Listed.

Then move these DNS ip's to the top of the DNS list.
    Changed from a very slow sluggish system, with continuing network connection errors to a very workable solution.

I have spent hours on the phone with godaddy. I have 11 sites, one is NOT on Godaddy. Same theme, pluggins, etc..on all sites. The NON godaddy hosted site is always fast on WP admin. The other 10 are unusable, some wont even load the dashboard. Meanwhile the non-godaddy site works like a champion. 

Helper I

I agree with Patrick! Last week, I moved all 4 of my sites (which had become unusable on GD's server), and they are working beautifully. Faster and better than ever. It is not us. It is not our sites. It is not our plugins. It's has to be a GD issue. 

New

Just got set up with managed wordpress site Friday and it's been nearly unbearable. Same story, they tell me it's the plugins, but we deactivated them all and the theme and still get 408 errors and just super sluggish. Both in the WP Admin area but also when trying to submit contact forms on the front end.

Has anyone had any luck besides switching hosts?

Can you please explain in further detail on how to do this fix?

Same here.  Brand new managed customer here.. Asking for a refund for my 1 year hosting and looking elsewhere.  ..  Have always been happy with godaddy but this is not acceptable. 

Super User III
    Super User III

Just wondering what your site is (domain name) - I have over 200 sites on Managed WordPress and about another 50 on 2 VPS servers for PCI compliance - I will say that of those on MWP I've had 2 or 3 where I had to "re-deploy" the site to another install on MWP as there was something with the site running slow (database or otherwise)  - I will also tell you I had a client who couldn't SFTP into the server and when I checked their IP it was showing up on a Blacklist due to reverse DNS  - yet myself (and other developers) got into the site without issue.

If anyone would like me to look at this please feel free to private message me

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

New

8-27-17 I have also had this problem, starting around the end of July, 2017.  My site is uneditable.  It's a very small site. I used sftp to remove the updraftplus plugin, which was supposedly causing the 408 problem.  Did no good. I have recreated my site in sites.google.com, but I need to be able to edit my godaddy site to point to my alternative. 

My sftp experience leads me to wonder if godaddy has some kind of problem coordinating its many servers.  Each time I connected to the fixed IP address, godaddy gave for my sftp access, I got a complaint from ssh about the server's Host identification changing. 

Absolutely same issue here. I called GD 4 times already. always the same answer "fix your plugins". 

the issue is not only Dashboard, but also frontend which crashes in 10-20% of sessions

After reading this thread I decided to move away from GD right NOW

I'm having the same issue, I swtiched my site from Wix to wordpress via Godaddy's hosted wordpress in January as I was told the blog capabilities were superior.

Everything seemed fine until June, when it became so slow all I get is repeated 408 errors, can't update or preview anything. Absolutely pointless and I'm tied in for 3 years. Anyone had any luck getting their money back?

Hi. I am having this problem. How can you help?

Hi. How did you do this please? Can't seem to replicate your solution.

I am GoDaddy re-seller and a theme/plugin developer.  I've been selling my clients on Managed WordPress hosting - I ran into this issue with one of my clients where the site seemed fine but the WP-Admin would hang, or we'd get a 408 error when submitting a contact form, etc - ALL randomly.   I tried calling into tech support over 5 times, each time receiving a different answer or told there is no problem and to check my internet provider.

SOLUTION that worked for me:

My client WAS using CloudFlare for his previous website and when we switched to the new site, I had him follow the instructions by adding an A record for the new site.  The site seemed to work, but the WP admin would time out.  What ended up working for us? He updated the A record to CNAME and disabled CloudFlare cache and the problem went away - No more slowness in WP-Admin.

I still am uneasy about WHY CloudFlare DNS / Cache would be the issue - but it did resolve my problem for now.  Hope this helps someone - be sure to check DNS!

A few more details:

My development site worked fine

The Staging environment worked fine

The Production site SEEMED fine, minus the times-outs in Admin or submitting a form

Tech support kept telling me it was my theme (It can't be)

Tech support kept telling me it was my plugins (It can't be)

Tech support kept telling me it was WordPress cache (It can't be)

New

Slow front-end, slower back-end after migrating to GD Managed WP

I recently had my WP site migrated from GoDaddy's Linux hosting to Managed Wordpress.

Since it was migrated, the front-end is slow to load pages about 15% of the time, and times-out completely about 5% of the time.

The situation is twice as bad on the back-end where the wp-admin area is painfully slow and times-out often. This is making life frustrating and difficult, updating pages is a real painful experience.

Before it was migrated to the Managed WP hosting it was zippy and fast - never a time-out, but this is ridiculous.

To make things worse, GoDaddy 'Tech Support' is useless - giving me every excuse possible, including those that make no logical sense...Basically I've given up on them because they just wasted hours of my life and did nothing productive to assist (at least they didn't ask me to reboot my computer). I'm hoping the combined brain-power of its clients can be more effective.

I Have some images that need optimization - and I've done that (note that the un-optimized site was fast when not on Managed WP), I did a tracert multiple times and it consistently 'times-out', and it can be frustrating one second, and the next it's back up and running smoothly. No reason or pattern I can discern.

Help!?

I have been having the same types of issues for months. Just noticed this morning that there is some type of issue where i cannot get into my WP dashboard from the backend and support turned off my essential plugins without my permission.  Additionally there are constant 500 related errors as well.  Thinking of switching to a real platform, not Godaddy managed wordpress which is problematic & unstable.

Jay

Godaddy said they could not replicate the problem, therefore it did not exist! This is documented video of the problem. They also attempted to blame my system, even though a client in FL (I am in CA) was having the same problems. MY FL client was on a different OS, different browser, and a different network, but it was our systems or the the ISP that was the problem.

It is my opinion that there is a firewall issue on Godaddy's side. I am also suspicious of the PHP version that Godaddy is hanging onto instead of upgrading to 7+. They are still using 5X on Managed WP and we cannot force them to use a modern version. It is like still using XP, because "it works". If you're on CPanel hosting, these issues do not exist and you can force the PHP version you want. However, I have done speed testing on CPanel vs ManagedWP before these problems and MWP is about 20% faster. 

My problems have gone away, but I did not do anything different. All my sloooooow sites now operate at the speed of non-godaddy sites and timeout issues have gone away. I use a standard theme on all my sites and a standard set of plugins. Some sites run a lot of plugins that godaddy wanted to blame. However, the problem has gone away and my sites have increased in complexity and size.  

I never used to have issues with updating plugins on MW websites. Latley however, I have several sites in which I cannot update the plugins. It gives me a 503 error and will throw the site into a maintenance mode sometimes. Called support and so far no solution. They tried to blame it on the theme or plugins I was using. But it is giving me problems with multiple themes. I loaded default theme and still getting the issue. 

Can anyone from Godaddy MW hosting support verify that you are working on a fix?

My Managed Wordpress Website, https://RDTdaily.com is also EXTREMELY SLOW - both the desktop and mobile versions.

The W3 Total Cache is unavailable on managed WordPress .

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fa0bqoyjhzduerm/Screenshot%202018-02-03%2013.40.19.png?dl=0 

This is a serious problem.  NO ONE will wait around for a site that takes over A MINUTE to load.   I don't think there's anything so "fancy" going on with our website which would justify this.

Before I move to another host, does anyone know how to remedy this? 

Run a site test on GT Metrix https://gtmetrix.com. Change the server to Dallas and Cable modem for a more realistic speed test. Their reports will show you what you need to fix, which is a lot of stuff.

Hello,

To everyone out there who is tired of GoDaddy Managed Hosting, kindly contact me. I have some great hosting options for you which are certainly fast and reasonable in price. You can just send me a message and I will be happy to help.

Thanks.

Contact me for Great hosting at prasad0889@gmail.com
    Solution

If you are a Managed WordPress customer and you are experiencing latency or site performance issues, we recommend disabling your plugins and changing themes to test the performance of the site. If it improves, you may have an issue with one or the other. We also suggest visiting the official Wordpress website and search for "optimization". That will give you some good suggestions on how to proceed: http://wordpress.org. 

Additionally, even with the most sleek of plugins, large images kill site performance.  I use a program called IrfanView. It allows me to web-optimize all of my images for a site in a single "batch" operation.  In addition there are image compression plugins for WordPress. Try to do as much optimization offline as that will keep WordPress from having to work so hard online.

KristyW - GoDaddy | Community Moderator | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.