• Managed WordPress Hosting

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    Highlighted

Question About Staging Site

I'm using the Managed Wordpress staging site feature. I pushed my product site to staging site and began making changes/updates to the staging site. I updated the theme and plugins without any problems so I was about to push all changes/updates from the staging site to production site. But before I did, I noticed that the orders page (WooCommerce) is showing old orders from the last time I did all of this (updates on the staging site).

In other words, pushing my production site to the staging site apparently didn't push over all the orders I've received since the last round of updates I did. Does this make sense? Am I good to push all changes from staging site to production site? Or will doing that delete all the orders I've received since the last round of updates I did? Why is it that orders didn't sync to the staging site? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
    Highlighted
    Super User IV
    Super User IV
    Solution

Re: Question About Staging Site

@buddhakid 

The staging site and live site are 2 different sites - So when you first created it, the GoDaddy system copied all of the content from your live site.  When you "Push" Staging to Production it will overwrite the database / content etc.

So YES it will delete any orders that aren't on the staging site. I suggest looking into export / import of WooCommerce orders and copy them over to staging so when you copy it back over you won't loose the orders

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
    Highlighted
    Super User IV
    Super User IV
    Solution

@buddhakid 

The staging site and live site are 2 different sites - So when you first created it, the GoDaddy system copied all of the content from your live site.  When you "Push" Staging to Production it will overwrite the database / content etc.

So YES it will delete any orders that aren't on the staging site. I suggest looking into export / import of WooCommerce orders and copy them over to staging so when you copy it back over you won't loose the orders

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Gotcha, thanks!

Highlighted

Figured out what my problem was and why orders weren't transferred over from production to staging.

When I pulled Production to Staging, I didn't click "Overwrite content", so the database (including customers/orders) wasn't copied over as, by default, syncing only copies over files.

https://www.godaddy.com/help/push-your-staging-site-to-the-production-site-16467

"Warning: The sync process will only overwrite files by default. If you push with Overwrite content selected, the database will also be overwritten. Make sure that the content you have in the staging site is what you want on the live site before you push the changes to production."

So what I need to do is pull Production to Staging with "Overwrite content" checked, make my changes, then push Staging to Production.