cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

DNS not being shown.

Hi, so starting a couple of days ago, with no changes on our end, DNS stopped being resolved (hosted? IDK) for my domain Senpais.jp. 

DNS records are up to date in Godaddy Backend, but nothing is being shown to the outside world. 

For example, if I look at the DNS records on Who.is, all that is shown is:

Hostname Type TTL Priority Content

senpais.jpSOA0 z.dns.jp root@dns.jp 1578271502 3600 900 1814400 900

Godaddy Support hasn't had any clue and keep telling me it takes up to 24 hours to propagate DNS. Which I understand, but it's been close to 4 days now and there hasn't been a result. 

I also have no idea why DNS would suddenly stop being hosted. Does anyone have any ideas on what to do here? It's critical and my team has lost access to our Gsuite Emails, our website is down, our entire business has ground to a halt and Godaddy couldn't care less. 

A and Cname should be pointing to Shopify and MX to Gsuite. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User II
Super User II
Solution

Re: DNS not being shown.

@nathchad 

I'm not sure - I know for some TLDs GoDaddy is the "agent" but it doesn't look like that is the case with .JP - https://www.godaddy.com/help/about-jp-domains-20219

I'm not sure of any trustee services to recommend to you as I've never done a .jp domain

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Super User II
Super User II

@nathchad 

Was the domain name bought via GoDaddy or is it just the DNS records??

Assuming it's both I would try the following

1) Go to https://dcc.godaddy.com/manage/Senpais.jp/dns and change the name servers from the default ns##.domaincontrol.com - just increase the numbers by 1

After that change them back to the default.

2) You can also ask GoDaddy to do a zone file refresh.

In this case what has happened or appears to have happened is the .JP domain authority has somehow removed the DNS information from their system - Although the DNS is at GoDaddy, the Domain Authority is who tells the internet were the name servers are.

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Hi @PL281 Thanks for your  help!

The domain was purchased through Godaddy and has been running perfectly for 2.5 years. 

So, I'm unable to change the Name Servers and neither is the Godaddy Phone Reps. 

I'm on hold with a phone support rep at the moment and will ask to do a zone file refresh as soon as they are back. 

I have a gut feeling it's something like that. When I looked at the Who.is info it's showing as my non-japan address with the country set to japan instead of my Japanese address. 

Any suggestions on what to do if it is the .JP Domain Authority? 

Super User II
Super User II

@nathchad 

https://jprs.co.jp/en/ Here is the link to follow up with them as well.

Hey, thanks for that link. I sent them an email and they have responded asking for a Proof of Residency card to update the address. 

I have a friend who is living in Japan, but I don't think they are a resident. I'm waiting to hear back from them. 

I've done a bit of research and there seem to domain registers that provide a trustee service for .jp domains, but from what I can tell, they need to be the one registering the domain or you would need to transfer the domain. 

Do you have any idea if it's possible or safe to transfer the domain to a register with a trustee service? 

Apologies if you have no clue, it seems like you have a better understanding of .jp domains than me so I figured I would ask. 🙂 Otherwise thank you for your help so far!! 

Super User II
Super User II
Solution

@nathchad 

I'm not sure - I know for some TLDs GoDaddy is the "agent" but it doesn't look like that is the case with .JP - https://www.godaddy.com/help/about-jp-domains-20219

I'm not sure of any trustee services to recommend to you as I've never done a .jp domain

View solution in original post