cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Domain forwarding not working for private network

We have over 30 domains using forwarding and the forwarding does work properly for the internet but fails to respond when on our private network. Here an example believemcso.com, this will work for you just fine, the problem lies within our network. I am not a network operations person but the web architect. This is what I know, from my internal computer I can ping and it resolves, i did a tracert and watched it hop all the way to GoDaddy. Anything over http browser or postman gets a timeout, no response. I had them check to see if the web filter to verify that it was not being blocked, logically it wouldn't be because there was no response, if it was blocked there would be a response.  None of the domains are blocked. I am not able to convince our network operations people that it is something our network is preventing the redirect response.  So am looking for anyone who might have experienced this? I want to gather evidence to convince them its our network or me, its somewhere else.

6 REPLIES 6
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Domain forwarding not working for private network

@JimKitterman 

1) What IP do you get when you ping it

2) I assume you can get to page you are forwarding to if you go directly to it.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

The ip is 184.168.131.241

Yes going directly does work fine

shot of tracert:

internal-tracert.png

Also, late Friday, I was able to access the redirect from a server within our dmz which tells that it is something within our internal network.

Super User III
Super User III

@JimKitterman 

Only thing I can think of is if there is something with your internal network trying to force it over HTTPS as GoDaddy doesn't do HTTPS forwarding

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Thank you will check with our folks to see if that is happening.I am pretty sure that it is going out on port 80 though but will confirm.

This wasnt the issue but at least now they agree with me! That's half the battle 🙂 I will keep this open and add a final resolution. Thanks for your help.

Solution

In a dim memory I think I ran into a problem like this, and it had to do with Masking.  Our network security had added or upgraded something that prevented masked redirects from entering the network.  Or something like that.  Anyway, I had to turn off masking. It kind of sucked, from an end-user experience point of view.  ymmv

In Forwarding>Settings, select "Forward only" rather than "Forward with Masking"