cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Domain not working without www Americommerce store

Hello, we have an Americommerce store www.odespartscenter.com. I've called into GoDaddy twice to get assistance on why my domain only works on my store WITH www and not without. We've gotten 2 sets of information - 1. Get the IP address for your store and assign it to an A record. Which I did, but I find it weird that I was provided with more than one IP from my host. So when I did that and called back into GoDaddy I got the 2nd set of information which is: You will need to contact your host to provide you with more information as to why it is not working. My host (Americommerce) is saying we need to setup a whole OTHER account with Cloudfare to get this situation resolved which requires a whole additional list of steps. There has to be a way to solve this within GoDaddy I am sure. 

Can someone help? We have tried setting up a redirect as posted in other forums but it did not work. We tried removing the A records but that did not work either. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Super User II

I am not finding an IP address for them.

https://support.americommerce.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001302707-How-to-Go-Live

If they provide you with a static IP address that is what you would use for the A record.  If it's just a CNAME the IP address could be changed on their end.  The workaround is to forward yourdomain.com to www.yourdomain.com (301 redirect, no masking).

https://www.godaddy.com/help/manually-forwarding-or-masking-your-domain-or-subdomain-422

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Super User II

@ode2019 

Here's the issue: if you're hosting through another source outside of GoDaddy, that probably means they control the nameservers of your domain, which means they control the DNS zone file, which means the way that domains work on their system may be different than GoDaddy's. Contrary to popular belief, not all hosting is created the same and people that run it may not be the best in the industry. Just sayin'.

How is the domain set up? Are the nameservers with the other hosting company or did they just have you make modifications to the DNS here at GoDaddy through the DNS manager?

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
* Please note that I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. If you contact me via PM for help, I will give you a price quote for my personal services. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Hi MrVapor,

I see, they did not break it down for us like that. Thank you. 

They just had us make modifications through the DNS manager. All they provided us with is a CNAME Alias to point to stores.americommerce.com. And then as mentioned, we had to call back for the multiple IP addresses for the A records. 

If they do provide IP addresses for your account you can add 1 or more, but make sure to replace or delete previous A records for host @ .

A record-

Host: @

Points to: [IP address from Americommerce]

Changes to the DNS usually take about an hour or two, but can take up to 48 hours to complete.

They provided me with several IP addresses that I assigned to the A records. That didn't seem to do a single thing. When I setup the forward you suggested it got my A records back down to one so maybe it'll start to propagate here within the next couple hours.

Super User II

I am not finding an IP address for them.

https://support.americommerce.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001302707-How-to-Go-Live

If they provide you with a static IP address that is what you would use for the A record.  If it's just a CNAME the IP address could be changed on their end.  The workaround is to forward yourdomain.com to www.yourdomain.com (301 redirect, no masking).

https://www.godaddy.com/help/manually-forwarding-or-masking-your-domain-or-subdomain-422

View solution in original post

I tried setting up the forward and for now when I type in odespartscenter.com it loads forever, maybe it's still propagating...maybe not. We've done this before but trying again shouldn't hurt I suppose.

It seems setting up the forward solved the problem this time! Thank You!