cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Employee

Staying productive with everyone at home

I'd love to see everyone's pro tips when it comes to working from home while family is at home and staying productive. This past week has been tough with the balancing act!

My posts do not provide an official response. I love to help small businesses in any way I can by sharing tips I've picked up along the way during my career and as a web design freelancer.
9 REPLIES 9
Getting Started

I find it helpful to maintain routines.

Super User II Super User II
Super User II

So you are saying that there is not an excellent episode of The Journey about working from home @nealey of The Journey? I feel a new episode coming! For anyone who has not seen The Journey it is more than worth a watch and watching again!

It is apparent to all that know me that I'm not a parent so I'll generically talk about distractions (pets, tv...) I've been working remotely for more than twenty years and I've found that I work best when

• Defining a work area and keep it sacred
  • Get the buy-in from the stakeholders
  • Enlist others to help
  • Make time for the distraction. That's right lean into the distraction when you can. When you aren't doing work like meetings or other things that demand your intense attention it's time to play Lego or perhaps ball toss? Make sure to keep your play activity outside of your designated work area.
  • Make others aware that you are working from home before it becomes apparent. If you have to hold your yapping dog while on a video conference it is okay and might even be cute. 
  • Expect the quirks (for yourself and others) that naturally occur when working from home
  • Be flexible!

One of the best things of working from home is the flexibility afforded to you. Don't be so rigid but don't be so relaxed as to not complete your work. I can't leave without including a cute example of some things I mentioned above. 

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

Community Manager

Amazing as usual @rd! That is one of my all time favorite work from home nightmare videos LOL 🤣

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Ha @rd I don't think we've covered that yet but we need to! Those tips would be great to include in it too I appreciate the advice and going to try and implement them in my day, especially making time for distractions.

Also, thanks for the shoutout on the Journey, @rd !

My posts do not provide an official response. I love to help small businesses in any way I can by sharing tips I've picked up along the way during my career and as a web design freelancer.

RD's list is excellent, but I will add something else: set some work hours/boundaries. I have also worked from home for many years, and it's hard to draw the line between work and not-work when the office is steps away from your bedroom. So assuming you have a defined work area, try to figure out how you can set some hours so kids/spouse/roommates know that they should try not to bother you during this time. And then when those hours are over, stop working and step away from the computer.

Plus now that there is little difference between weekdays and weekends, try to NOT work on the weekend so you get a mental break. Again, if work is always right there, it's so easy to get sucked into working on the weekends, but you need the mental break as well. Spend that time reading, making art, playing with your kids, baking cookies, whatever.

Community Manager

Great advice @webdiva!! I'm finding that I don't want to do my side hustle business of selling items online because I don't want to be on the computer 14 hours a day. Wish I could hang out with you and work on cool projects. All the best!

Rachel

RachelM - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Hey @webdiva thank you for bringing up this very important issue of setting boundaries especially in today's environment where many of us are now working from home rather than the traditional office. When working out of the traditional office it is easier to leave work at work, but when work is at home the lines become blurred. Throw in spouses, children, and roommates that would usually be at work or school, are all now constantly together sharing a common space with little alone time boundaries can seem almost impossible to maintain. Setting aside a few hours for yourself to meditate, read, paint, bake, or whatever helps you relax is key to maintaining a healthy work to personal time relationship. Thanks for sharing, Brett M.

GoDaddy | Customer Care | Hosting Support
24/7 support available at x.co/247support
Former Employee

Thanks for getting the conversation started on this topic @nealey! I think a lot of us can benefit from some of the suggestions found in this thread as for many of us a work from home role is a new situation.

GoDaddy | Customer Care | Hosting Support
24/7 support available at x.co/247support
Advocate I

I'm actually home due to illnesses including working from home. However, I've had a real joy to be able to share tips with parents who have their kids home because I'm a homeschooling graduate. There's a lot of things you can do from games inside the house to activities even watching a movie as a family and go outside! 

I'm staying as productive as I can daily, but so glad there are people and communities like this that are pressing through and staying #openwestand!

God bless!

DeadManWalkingPublications