cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

SSL certificate installation CPanel. Self-signed?

Dear all,

I have just purchased an certificate for my VPS and trying to install it in CPanel. But each time I'm getting "self-signed" notification like:

This is a self-signed certificate. Self-signed certificates are easy for attackers to spoof, and they generate security warnings in a user’s web browser. You should only temporarily install this certificate until a valid certificate authority issues a signed certificate to replace it.

So my question is: who is that valid certificate authority and how I can get a signature?

Thank you,

Korvin

5 REPLIES 5

Re: SSL certificate installation CPanel. Self-signed?

I have that same issue. It says self-signed, but when I open the file I downloaded is lists GoDaddy as the issuer. How do I fix this on my Cpanel VPS?

New

The company you purchased the certificate from should be a valid certificate authority. However, you also have to go into your cpanel or plesk to link it to your domain name and generate the keys for your certificate. If you have issues you can contact GoDaddy support for help within the cpanel, etc, and after that, contact the certificate provider you purchased it from.

There are some instructions when you first log in to GoDaddy under SSL certificates, click manage. You can import and install other certificates here. GoDaddy installs certificates for you if you get it from them. You can also install items via cpanel.

For CPanel Accounts, When you first log in to GoDaddy scroll down to web hosting tab and click manage. This takes you to cpanel. Scroll down to the section titled Security, and on the right side you will see an SSL icon. Click this to get to tthe management page. Here you can generate your private keys and also generate a certificate signing request, assuming that the certificate is installed. This will clear your self-signed error. I have not used Plesk, but I am certain there will be a similar option in plesk.

New
Solution

Hi. In your cpanel, scroll down to the security tab and click on the SSL icon on the far right. This will get you to the managemebnt page to ensure that:

1. your certificate points to your domain.

2. You generate your private key.

3. you can generate a certificate signing request, which will clear the self singed issue.

New

Thank you kizmos,

I have followed your advise and generated everything what was needed. Does it take time to CSR to proceed? Do I need to perform any other actions?

Thank you

New

Yes After generating CSR and rekeying your SSL certificate with Encoded part of CSR, It will take 24 to 72 hours to approve the request.