Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

How to add a wordpress theme in Godaddy

Hi, 

Im new to wordpress with Godaddy.

Started a new website with a Godaddy template.  Went to change the theme ( have 2 options to look up themes: Godaddy themes or Wordpress) and found a free one on Wordpress.org.  When I tried to bring it in (activate) , it seemed to combine with the original Godaddy template.  So the new website had a bit of both. Not what I want. Suggestions?    

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

Re: How to add a wordpress theme in Godaddy

@tony1b2000 

In WordPress you can install as many themes are you would like on your site, however only one can be activate at a time - so when you go to the themes page you will see everything that is installed.

If the GoDaddy theme added pre-defined content, that content will still be on the site. Themes generally do not overwrite your content, just the design elements.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

@tony1b2000 

No you do not - many new users will start with that as it helps to get you going. Personally as a Web Developer, I recommend people check out ThemeForest.net there are 1000s of paid themes - and many of them include demo content so you just have to replace the sample content with your own but the layout / setup is already there.

If you go that route I suggest looking for themes that have been updated in the last 30-60 days - some themes do not get updated on a regular basis and do not keep up with the changing features of WordPress

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

@tony1b2000 

If you purchase a theme it will include a zip download - within that zip will be all the source files of theme and another zip file which you can upload into the themes area in WordPress

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

@tony1b2000 

In WordPress you can install as many themes are you would like on your site, however only one can be activate at a time - so when you go to the themes page you will see everything that is installed.

If the GoDaddy theme added pre-defined content, that content will still be on the site. Themes generally do not overwrite your content, just the design elements.

Highlighted

Thanks for the explanation.  Do we always have to start with a godady template?  Is there a better option? 

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

@tony1b2000 

No you do not - many new users will start with that as it helps to get you going. Personally as a Web Developer, I recommend people check out ThemeForest.net there are 1000s of paid themes - and many of them include demo content so you just have to replace the sample content with your own but the layout / setup is already there.

If you go that route I suggest looking for themes that have been updated in the last 30-60 days - some themes do not get updated on a regular basis and do not keep up with the changing features of WordPress

Highlighted

Thats sound perfect ! They do have a lot of nice looking items. 

Now the big question is: How do I get one of those in Godaddy?

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

@tony1b2000 

If you purchase a theme it will include a zip download - within that zip will be all the source files of theme and another zip file which you can upload into the themes area in WordPress