cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to grant access to a Login into a single domain / site through Managed WordPress?

I'd like to grant access to a single WordPress managed domain. For example, I have minerformesa.com domain and would like another person to have 'Editor' access only to that domain.  How do I give her access to a single site on GoDaddy's managed WordPress.

6 REPLIES 6
Helper IV Helper IV
Helper IV

Re: Login into a single domain / site.

Hi @jcmillecam

Once you've set up your WordPress site, you can add new users and assign them roles which limit what they can do on the site.

The five default user roles are:
Administrator – Has access to all administrative options and features.
Editor – Can manage and publish posts. Traditionally, editors review posts submitted by contributors and then schedule them for review.
Author – Can publish their own posts when they wish.
Contributor – Can write posts but cannot publish them. Instead, they need to submit their posts for review.
Subscriber – Has basic functionality such as changing their profile and leaving comments.

Cheers!

Doc

Need some help with WordPress? Check out Site Doctor 911
Worry-Free WordPress Support - So You Can Focus On The Important Stuff

Got that.  We're editing the staging WordPress. I always access it once I've logged into GoDaddy.  I'm trying to avoid her logging in and have access to all my managed wordpress sites. Can I add a user to GoDaddy that only has visibility to the staging site and it's soon to be 'live' site. 

Thanks for your quick response - Jim

Best answer I can come up with is to create a new FTP account that only shows the domain you wish them to see. Personally most of WP is on site building not backend.

If you do not trust them then download a plugin called WP Manager. You may create new user access to protect your password. You can give them full access except being able to edit user accounts and change other passwords.

Sent from LG G5.
Helper IV Helper IV
Helper IV

I feel like I'm missing something, or just being incredibly dense... Why not have her just login to WordPress through wp-admin and not through GoDaddy?

Or if she has to access actual files on the server, just set her up with the limited ftp account like was suggested?

Each WordPress installation would be in its on directory so limited ftp access would solve that, and every WordPress site is access controlled by username and password through the login, so that would be restricted in that way.

Cheers!

Doc

Need some help with WordPress? Check out Site Doctor 911
Worry-Free WordPress Support - So You Can Focus On The Important Stuff

@SiteDoctor

Thank you for your response and I would love to answer the questions.

@SiteDoctor wrote:

I feel like I'm missing something, or just being incredibly dense... Why not have her just login to WordPress through wp-admin and not through GoDaddy?

There is no reason for the second admin to access GoDaddy, you are correct, but with limited FTP access for the occasion when a plugin fails and you need to change the name of the plugin or remove it because you lost site connection this is important when you are developing.

@SiteDoctor wrote:

Each WordPress installation would be in its on directory so limited ftp access would solve that, and every WordPress site is access controlled by username and password through the login, so that would be restricted in that way.

Exactly!  I also appreciate the fact that you mentioned this topic because I gave the wrong plugin name.  The plugin is called WLB (white lablel branding) found here:  https://codecanyon.net/item/white-label-branding-for-wordpress/125617

This plugin has a feature called a role manager.  You may create another user role with full admin rights, but remove the ability to edit user passwords.  This is just an additional layer of protection for the site owner.  WLB also has a lot of other fantastic features to use as well, you may read about it on the site I posted above.

Hope this information helped a little.

Good luck with the new website!!

Syx

Helper V
Helper V

@jcmillecam You will need to add a new user to your wordpress site. to add a new user depends on if you have multisite enabled for your site

For single site:

you will need to go to http://minerformesa.com/wp-admin/ and login to your admin account.

Once logged in go to http://minerformesa.com/wp-admin/user-new.php to add a new user. From there you can add a new user. Since the user's role is going to be Editor there is no need to grant FTP Access unless you want to allow FTP upload/download of content. 

For Multisite:

you will need to go to http://minerformesa.com/wp-admin/ and login to your super admin account.

Once logged in go to http://minerformesa.com/wp-admin/user-new.php and click on the site you want the user to have access to and then click on the User Tab. From there you can add a new user or give an existing user access to that site. Since the user's role is going to be Editor there is no need to grant FTP Access unless you want to allow FTP upload/download of content.

This will allow you to create a user with Editor access to your site and allow that user limited access for the 1 site. I am not familiar with godaddys managed wordpress and if it is setup for multisite or not but the instructions I provided should work without the need to add plugins.