cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    Highlighted

Connecting Domain to Raspberry Pi

Using my Raspberry Pi to Host my Website Using a GoDaddy Domain

I have a Raspberry Pi Zero, and I want to host a simple website I coded myself. I have the Pi on a constant power source and the (experimental) website works on the local network. The router is port forwarding to my Pi. I called the communications company for my home and got a static IP for my home in addition to keeping the dynamic IP. Now I set the Type A IP to my static IP, but it does not seem to work. I wonder if the port forwarding didn't work, or more likely, I am wondering what I did wrong with getting the domain to lead to my IP.

I recognize that another option is to have the Raspberry Pi check every hour for the updated dynamic IP, but I would prefer to use the static IP so that the server doesn't have any down-time.

Side note: this website does not allow me to change the font-weight, color or font when writing in HTML so I am curious as to why it is even an option when writing posts like this.

1 REPLY 1
    Super User III
    Super User III
    Solution

Re: Connecting Domain to Raspberry Pi

@Farmer_Dan 

I'm not sure how much those of us here in the community will be able to help with this one. 

In regards to your domain pointed to the IP - as long as in the GoDaddy DNS you updated the main A record (@) to the static IP and that is the only @ record you have, you should be good to go.

It sounds like this is a local router / modem issue. There maybe something in your settings to route traffic for the static IP differently than the dynamic IP. You might also have to setup the Raspberry Pi device to be in the DMZ in order to route correctly.

As I said this is really something with your local network. 

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community