• GoDaddy Community
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 

403 Forbidden Error Message When Trying to Access Folder

In the past I have built Apache web servers which allowed a user to put in the name of the folder as the url in their web browser and then get a directory listing of the files in that folder which they can click on to either view of download. When I setup my account with godaddy I was assured I would be able to do this. So I uploaded a bunch of jpg files and then tried to access them over the net. But I keep hitting 403 Forbidden error messages. The tech support at either godaddy or c-Panel are of no help. Apparently I would need an .htaccess file with a password file else where to do this....apparently but all attempts at this fail. There is no htpasswd file to run when I ssh into my server either.

So my question is is there anyway to just be able to have a client visit the url on my site and without having to login with username and/or password just get this directory and download the files they want? Or did the sales people at godaddy sell me a promise they can't keep?

3 REPLIES 3
    Helper VI Helper VI
    Helper VI

Re: 403 Forbidden Error Message When Trying to Access Folder

Hi there, all .files are hidden by default... try using "dir -a" of "ls -a"

~Jan Mykhail Hasselbring Web Administrator @ fullstackwebsolution.com
    Helper VI Helper VI
    Helper VI

Further more, a lot of files or settings can affect your apache's behavior.  Having multiple .htaccess can get confusing really fast.   One thing I would recommend is for you to go to your cPanel, go to the advanced section(it is usually found next to cronjobs, error pages etc.) then click indexes.  Once you're there, you should be able to select the type of indexing that you want to use.

~Jan Mykhail Hasselbring Web Administrator @ fullstackwebsolution.com

What I discovered was by using ssh to get to the terminal and the using the tree -H command, I got what I wanted but it's not what I expected. By redirecting the output of this command to index.html I at least got it working.