• Websites + Marketing | Website Builders
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

500 internal server error with an old DNN instance

I have an old DNN instance, probably version 4.x, that I had installed very many years ago on my shared plan. It's not on a VPS, so I cannot access the database. Recently, without any updates on my end, it started giving a 500 internal server error. I chatted with GoDaddy but they are not able to help me. Even if I can just get the database table for one photo gallery module and the files associated with it, I would be super happy! Otherwise, years of work are gone, with my backups not included the database portion of this site. Any ideas?

2 REPLIES 2
    Community Manager
    Community Manager
    Solution

Re: 500 internal server error with an old DNN instance

Hi @jensharp. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! The best way to troubleshoot 500 errors for this type of account is to enable detailed errors. This help article may help you do that. If you can determine the underlying cause, then maybe you can fix the site. 

Also, you should be able to access your site's database. If you don't have the login information, check your web.config file for the database connection string. Then you can launch database access and login. The connection string should look something like this:

connectionString="Server=youroldhostname;Database=DBName;uid=DBUser;pwd=DBPass;"

Hope that helps.

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Re: 500 internal server error with an old DNN instance

I have my web.config file showing this:

<configuration>
    <system.webServer>
    <httpErrors errorMode="Detailed" />
    <asp scriptErrorSentToBrowser="true"/>
    </system.webServer>
    <system.web>
    <customErrors mode="off"/>
    <compilation debug="true"/>
    </system.web>
    </configuration>

But I still do not get detailed errors in the browser.

BUT I did get into the database tables! THANKS SO MUCH! Long conversion ahead of me, but at least I got in, thank you so much!