Add a video to my website header
Using video in your website header is a way to increase visual interest, or highlight your products or services. The default for mobile users is to see a static image so your site loads faster. Videos in your header are played without sound. To enable sound, add your video to a section in your site.
Note: Not all themes allow video. If you want to change the look of your header, change your theme.
This video is part of the How-To series for Build Your Own Website.
- Go to your GoDaddy product page.
- Scroll to Websites + Marketing and select Manage next to your website.
- Select Edit Website or Edit Site to open your website editor.
- Select your header (the first section of your home page), and then select the arrow next to your cover media.
- Select Video.
- Select Change video.
- Upload or select your own video or stock video, or import a video from a URL. (Only Vimeo links work for the Header video, but you can add a YouTube video link to other website sections.)
- You can upload 3 videos or 5 GB directly into your Media Library.
- After 3 uploaded videos or 5GB, you'll need to connect your GoDaddy account to a free Vimeo account.
- If you want to upload more than 10 videos per day, 500 MB per week, or 5GB total or you need advanced customization, you'll need to upgrade to a paid Vimeo account. Read more about GoDaddy's partnership with Vimeo.
- Select whether customers viewing your site on mobile devices will only see the thumbnail, so that your page loads faster, or the video.
- Your changes are saved as you work. Publish your site to make the changes live to everyone else.
- Make sure you read about header video best practices.
- Need to add a video that has too much action for the background? Want to add a YouTube video? Add a video section to your site using an external link.
- Learn more about the partnership between Vimeo and GoDaddy and how it allows you to upload your own videos.
- Connect your GoDaddy account to Vimeo to upload additional videos, edit your videos and configure your video player settings.