cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    jkardokus
    New

Accessibility for the blind

Apparently there are law firms that seek out & prosecute websites that are not accessible to the visually impaired. National Law Review Article

Are Go-Daddy & Word Press managed websites accessible to the visually impaired? How do we know whether they are or not?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
    Muse
    Super User I

@jkardokusGoDaddy has the responsibility to make their site accessilble.  Websites are not accessible for the blind or visually impaired by virtue of hosting alone.  That's a design and UI issue.

You are responsible for making your site accessible not GoDaddy or WordPress.

Every website owner should know their market well enough to know how accessible they need to be -- that's just good business.  There are a few basics every website owner, DIY or developer, can do to be more asssessible.  Most of which is just basic good coding practices.

=>  Software for the blind cannot read graphical assets.  Therefore provide a text alternative for every graphic in the alt and title tags of the HTML.

=> Use valid HTML.  Screenreaders depend on this to provide an accurate representation of what the user cannot "see".

=> Make sure everthing is responsive.  This allows users to increase fonts and layouts to their preference.

I work with blind folks and they have no problem navigating their websites.  I do have to work with them so they can explain to me what they perceive versus what sighted folks who view their site experience.  It is a learning experince for both of us.

You can run your site through a test here: http://wave.webaim.org/

I'm not worried about the DOJ or ambulance chasing law firms coming after me or any of my clients...

HTH! 😉

Judith
    "Good things happen to those who hustle." ~ Anaïs Nin

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
    Muse
    Super User I

@jkardokusGoDaddy has the responsibility to make their site accessilble.  Websites are not accessible for the blind or visually impaired by virtue of hosting alone.  That's a design and UI issue.

You are responsible for making your site accessible not GoDaddy or WordPress.

Every website owner should know their market well enough to know how accessible they need to be -- that's just good business.  There are a few basics every website owner, DIY or developer, can do to be more asssessible.  Most of which is just basic good coding practices.

=>  Software for the blind cannot read graphical assets.  Therefore provide a text alternative for every graphic in the alt and title tags of the HTML.

=> Use valid HTML.  Screenreaders depend on this to provide an accurate representation of what the user cannot "see".

=> Make sure everthing is responsive.  This allows users to increase fonts and layouts to their preference.

I work with blind folks and they have no problem navigating their websites.  I do have to work with them so they can explain to me what they perceive versus what sighted folks who view their site experience.  It is a learning experince for both of us.

You can run your site through a test here: http://wave.webaim.org/

I'm not worried about the DOJ or ambulance chasing law firms coming after me or any of my clients...

HTH! 😉

Judith
    "Good things happen to those who hustle." ~ Anaïs Nin

View solution in original post