• GoDaddy Community
  • Managed WordPress Hosting
  • Managed WordPress Hosting

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 

Godaddy’s DocX issue

We all saw it and this has been a thorn in my side for years now. I think Godaddy should be ashamed for not have solved this issue by now. They advertise their Pro 5 package as secure. Why is docx then still an issue for them? It is now costing me several hundred pounds per year as I am losing clients to the competition. I will be moving me and my clients websites to a german hosting company this weekend. I’m posting this thread to ask, has anyone found a way around this issue? Like for instance a system that converts docx to pdf on upload or something?
    8 REPLIES 8
    Super User III
    Super User III

Re: Godaddy’s DocX issue

@SPhyffer 

Can you be a bit more specific as to the issue you are having. I just tried uploading a .docx file into one of my sites on the Managed WordPress platform and it uploaded without issue.

Personally I don't recommend posted Word Docs in general as the can be edited, I recommend to my clients to upload PDFs instead. Most computers today can at least print / create a PDF even if they don't have full version of Acrobat - additionally there are a couple of free online converters.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Re: Godaddy’s DocX issue/?isc=gdcommment

This is my site:
    www.sharelearnteach.com
    PE Teachers share resources with each other and most of them do not know the difference between a doc file and a docx file. They do most of their work in word and that is the way they would like to upload. As soon as you ask them to convert anything they go to a different site. There are several threads on this matter on this community, so I am baffled by the fact that you can upload docx (through the front end?) without getting an http error. I’m jealous really cause I called go daddy many times about this and they said it cannot be done due to managed Wordpress being on a shared server etc etc

…Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Moving a website of this size is a tedious process.

Kind regards
    Steven
    Super User III
    Super User III

@SPhyffer

So are you getting the error on the front end or back end and if the front end what plugin are you using.

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Thank you for being so helpful with this. I have Godaddy currently looking into it.

Docx fails when uploading through the media section as well as the doc upload section in Buddypress for the users of the site. 

Apparently it’s a shared hosting restriction, but Godaddy is trying to assist me with this now.

It’s official from high up in Godaddy tech support. They do not allow docx uploads on their managed wordpress hosting. I showed them your comments, they say you definitely cannot upload docx files to your managed wordpress sites. You might have a different setup than mine. I use their pro 5 packages...

Super User III
    Super User III

@SPhyffer 

I just tried this again (I have multiple pro 25 packs) and this time it failed - not sure why it worked the other day - I'll see if I can find which site I was on and test it again... maybe we can find a work around.... I do recall this being an issue in the past (also with a plugin that used fopen vs curl)

Re: Godaddy’s DocX issue/?isc=gdcommment/?isc=gdcommment

Yes, and through the media upload in Wordpress