Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dmu
Getting Started

A domain I want is expiring soon. What steps can I take to acquire it?

Hello!

There's a domain I've been wanting for years and it looks like it will be expiring in the next few days.

The domain is registered through GoDaddy and I have a backorder placed for it. However, I've tried doing the backorder before with a different domain, but it was not acquired in time. A domain parking company jumped on it before the GoDaddy backorder could get it. 

What steps can I take, either through GoDaddy or other means, to acquire this expiring domain, assuming the owner does not renew it?

Thank you!

12 REPLIES 12
Retired
Not applicable

Hi @dmu,

That's a very very easy one, contact the current owner. Yes you may have to pay a premium price but that's the price for 'jumping the queue'. The same with all things in life. Other wise................

................. what did you say that domain name was, I know a buyer who's interested.

Don't hum and ahh, or you could wait more years!!!

I know that's not the answer you want, as you prob want it for £9.99p,  but it's not like Ebay with sniping tools. Imagine the trouble getting a decent domain if it was!!!!!!

dmu
Getting Started

Hey @Retired, thanks for the reply! I have tried reaching out to the owner previously, but there was no response. I'm willing to pay more for it if they responded!

Retired
Not applicable

Hmmmmm, someone always has a website for one prime reason, visitor response. You tried all avenues there? You have no other option then, you know when it's to expire, sit up all night if you need to, one minute to midnight search and pay in godaddy domain search bar........ hell, it IS like Ebay!!!

dmu
Getting Started

I didn't try all avenues, the WHOIS information gave a home address, but I didn't want to go that far. I could have though. 🙂 The contact information on the website and the whois seemed to go to the same email. The domain expires in less than 24 hours, so I may need to wait it out.

Retired
Not applicable

Hi @dmu,

No don't knock on their door, that's called stalking I think, and is an abuse and creepy. Man Surprised

dmu
Getting Started

haha.. don't worry, I had no such thought. 🙂

Did you get the domain?

Yeah, dude, did you get the domain?  Come on, what happened when it expired?

dmu
Getting Started

Thanks for checking in, and sorry for not popping back in to give an update! The domain was registered again after the expiration period by the previous owner for the next two years (until 2019). 

This is not true. We "common people" cannot purchase domains as new ones open - expired or not. When a new domain ending is opened, corporations and other entities have the "rights" to purchase before us. Money talks...don't fool yourself. And if I'm wrong, prove it.

When a domain name expires there is a grace period that allows the current owner to renew it. This period of time is determined by the registrar and may be different from one to the other. Even if the current owner does not renew it within the grace period it is followed by a redemption period. Again, determined by the registrar.  During this time the current owner can still redeem the name for an extra fee. After the redemption period expires the domain goes up for auction. This is when backordering comes in to play.  If it is not auctioned, then after an indeterminate period of time the registrar will release it back to the registry at which time it will show up on registry searches for new registration.  Staying up all night waiting for a domain to expire will not do anything but make you sleepy. 

jkfdslakj
New

Back order it.